ASMIC Convention Militaria Show Sword Display

SARGE

Gents,

I attended the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC) show in Kansas City last month and had a great time. I put up a display of US Model 1902 Army Officer Sabers at the show and I managed to win the First Place prize from the roughly thirty display only tables among the regular for sale tables. I thought I would post some photos of the display for the Forum to look at and enjoy.

I encourage anyone who puts up a similar sword display to post photos of your display so the rest of us can see it. I think these displays can give us all some good ideas on how to best display our collections. It also gives us a chance to show off some aspects of our collections that we might want to share with others.

2017 ASMIC award.JPG

2017 ASMIC left 1.JPG

2017 ASMIC right.JPG

2017 ASMCI l belt.JPG

2017 ASMIC center.JPG

2017 ASMIC center left.JPG

WOW! That is an awesome exhibit. Not only the swords, but excellent accessories! Thanks for your hard work for putting this together for others to see. Many of us have collections that are only shared with a few.

Thanks for posting the photos, well deserving award!

BKW

George,

Not that the photos aren't great, but they don't do justice to getting to see this display in real life. I was amazed by the variations and all of the information that I read about the various pieces. Having the uniforms of some of the former owners of some of the swords was just icing on the cake. I told you "well done" when I first saw the display and that was without the hardware. I'll say it again. WELL DONE>

Allan

George,

Not that the photos aren't great, but they don't do justice to getting to see this display in real life. I was amazed by the variations and all of the information that I read about the various pieces. Having the uniforms of some of the former owners of some of the swords was just icing on the cake. I told you "well done" when I first saw the display and that was without the hardware. I'll say it again. WELL DONE>

Allan

I would agree and would have liked to see it in person but things didn't work out this time to attend

Outstanding display, thank you for sharing. I believe I saw your display in an earlier smaller version several years ago when I was TDY at Leavenworth (not the long course :) ). The uniforms as well as the pictures of the sword bearers who carried them complete the display. I really appreciate the effort put forth in creating the display as well the time and perseverance it took assembling the artifacts themselves. A plaque well deserved, thanks again.

Beautiful display! The nice thing about collecting the Model 1902 Army Officer Saber is that the variations go on forever. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Dick

Many thanks for the kudos gentlemen. This display has evolved over the years by adding and changing various elements. Entering competitive displays like this have helped me to improve my displays by getting feedback from judges and visitors. Display judges have various criteria that they look for and knowing what those things are help me to make these successful displays. For instance, judges generally look for both horizontal and vertical elements in the display to balance it out. So, I have three identified uniforms on torsos and two wire stands to hang stuff on for the vertical elements and the swords and accouterments laid out on the tables for the horizontal elements. I added the wire stands when I received a critique of not enough height in my vertical elements with just a couple of uniforms. Knowing what looks best to the judges helps me know what to add or subtract. I also identify each sword with a two line description of what you are looking at on a folded paper tent. Similarly, some competitions will give points for accouterments or paperwork or information on the owner.

These displays are a lot of work but they are also fun. I have also found some very good militaria when visitors come up to me and say they have something they are willing to sell that looks like what I am interested in.