My Newest find Id'ed Pre WWII Dress Blue Medical Uniform

jim2

This is my newest find. It is a pre WWII medical officers dress blues. It was mistakenly advertised as a artillery officers uniform. It is in absolutely mint condition with no imperfections whatsoever. Inside it is ID'ed to a Capt. C H White. In My 1944 register there were only 3 C H White's. One was a col in the signal corp, The second was a Lt Col in the FA, and the 3rd was a Captain who had graduated the university of Iowa as a MD and was in the Army Medical Corp and was promoted to Captain the 14 Aug 1936. His Name was Clarence H White and was from Calif (which was were I purchased the uniform from). I then went to my 1957 register to see what decorations he was awarded, but did not find him listed. I then went to the National WWII website and was surprised to find that he was a KIA. I then went to the NARA website & found him in the POW section. Clarence H White became a POW on May 7th 1942, and died January 11th 1945 on the Hell-ship Enoura Maru. I have sent away for his records & hope to receive some good information.

post-100-1225768611.jpg

His info from Nars:

SERIAL NUMBER O&019669

NAME WHITE CLARENCE H

GRADE, ALPHA Major or Asst. superintendent of nurses or Director of nurses or Director of dietitians or Director of physical therapy aides

GRADE CODE Asst. superintendent of nurses or Director of nurses or Director of dietitians or Director of physical therapy aides or Technician 3d Grade

SERVICE CODE ARMY

ARM OR SERVICE MC Medical Corps

ARM OR SERVICE CODE 71 MC: MEDICAL CORPS

DATE REPORT: DAY (DD) 07

DATE REPORT: MONTH (MM) 05

DATE REPORT: YEAR (Y) 2 1942

RACIAL GROUP CODE 1 WHITE

STATE OF RESIDENCE 91 California

TYPE OF ORGANIZATION

PARENT UNIT NUMBER

PARENT UNIT TYPE

AREA 45 Southwest Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands

LATEST REPORT DATE: DAY (DD) 11

LATEST REPORT DATE: MONTH (MM) 01

LATEST REPORT DATE: YEAR (Y) 5 1945

SOURCE OF REPORT 1 Individual has been reported through sources considered official.

STATUS 4 Executed, Died in Ship's Sinking or Result of Ship Sinking, Shot While Attempting Escape

DETAINING POWER 2 JAPAN

CAMP 501 PW Camp #1 - Cabanatuan 1-2-3 Nueva Province Luzon Philippines 15-121

REP E Enoura Maru

POW TRANSPORT SHIPS DS DS = December Sinkings: See code in previous field (REP). (B)DS=Brazil Maru; (E)DS=Enoura Maru; (O)DS=Oryoka Maru; (X) Died during transportation from Olongapo to San Fernando, PI.

His info from the WWII Memorial Website:

Clarence H. White

ID: 0-019669

Entered the Service From: California

Service: U.S. Army, Medical Corps

Died: Thursday, January 11, 1945

Memorialized at: Manila American Cemetery

Awards: Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart

Good research and discovery! Should make a nice research and restoration project.

Thanks Justin. I plan on replacing the shoulder boards and the US & Medical insignia. Hopefully I will recieve some good info and a photo from Nara.

• 1 month later...

This picture shows some U.S. Army Medical Dept. officers who were POWs at Cabanatuan (date unknown). Maj. Clarence H. White is standing second from left in the back row. Maj. White is reported to have been regimental surgeon of 31st Infantry at the time of his capture.

436417227_HvPuc-L.jpg

Wonderful find and it is great that the history of this hero has been returned to the uniform....

Now the uniform can stand as a physical reminder to future generations of a hero that died way before his time.