AIRBORNE AIR CAVALRY Patch Assistance

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: Years ago, I picked this up but I don't know the period or what specific unit would wear it. It's OD Green with a mesh backing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

post-153915-0-21100100-1507519362_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-69052000-1507519374_thumb.jpg

Here's an old topic on the other one like it, the 7/17th Cav's Ruthless Riders, topic doesn't seem to mention the AIRBORNE one only the Ruthless Rider one, so good guess that the AIRBORNE one is also 17th Cav related, perhaps the 2nd Sq 17th Cav 101st Abn Div.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39019-air-cavalry-patches/

Here's an old topic on the other one like it, the 7/17th Cav's Ruthless Riders, topic doesn't seem to mention the AIRBORNE one only the Ruthless Rider one, so good guess that the AIRBORNE one is also 17th Cav related, perhaps the 2nd Sq 17th Cav 101st Abn Div.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39019-air-cavalry-patches/

Forgot about this thread! Great info on the mentioned patch. Would like to have more info on the patch that started this thread. Have two myself and have always put them with the 7/17th Cav stuff. Great example of the info we can get on here!

Referring to Lawrence H. Johnson, author of the book "Winged Sabers - Air Cavlary in Vietnam" it's: "1st Sqdn, 17th Air Cav, the Div Cav sqdn for 82d Abn Div, started wearing about 1974."

Patchcollector

Patches in post # 8 in the thread that is linked to,Captcav does mention the Airborne piece,stating "BTW - your patch on the left was worn by 1/17 Cav (Air)/82d Abn Div AFTER the VN conflict."

Referring to Lawrence H. Johnson, author of the book "Winged Sabers - Air Cavlary in Vietnam" it's: "1st Sqdn, 17th Air Cav, the Div Cav sqdn for 82d Abn Div, started wearing about 1974."

I remember this patch being worn by members of the 1/17th Cavalry earlier than 1974.

When the 1/17th turned over their Sheridans to us (4/68 Armor) I recall some of the Troops at the motor pool that day wearing this patch. It was shortly after that that we began wearing 68th Armor Triangles and pocket hangers (unofficially of course) on various items of our uniforms.

Patches in post # 8 in the thread that is linked to,Captcav does mention the Airborne piece,stating "BTW - your patch on the left was worn by 1/17 Cav (Air)/82d Abn Div AFTER the VN conflict."

Doyeee :lol: I missed that :lol:. Thanks for the point out.