Glasses in Marine Corps during WW1 and WW2

Wallis

Maybe someone has the enlistment requirements for the era. I recall reading that many men who joined the Army had been turned away from the Marine Corps for very strict dental requirements, perhaps the same is true for glasses.

I have over a hundred photos of Marines WWII and prior, and now that you mention it, I don't think any of them are wearing glasses in them

I imagine once you were in, if you developed a need for glasses in old age, they weren't going to give you the boot.

And I'm sure rank had nothing to do with a Roosevelt, it was the name

The answers in that link are without any explanation, and the majority of photos are Marines of older age

My father enlisted in the Corps in April, 1936 - in the height of the Depression. He told me physical standards were extremely high, no eye glasses and no cavities in your teeth. Most of those who tried to enlist were rejected at that time.

As a side note, US Army doctors noted the high percentage of young men suffering from malnutrition as a result of the depression and who had to be rejected by the services.

Steve

My father enlisted in the Corps in April, 1936 - in the height of the Depression. He told me physical standards were extremely high, no eye glasses and no cavities in your teeth.

I imagine recruiters struggled to make quota...I don't envy them

I imagine recruiters struggled to make quota...I don't envy them

They just had them study the "acquired" eye charts prior to their physical! Improvise adapt and overcome.

They just had them study the "acquired" eye charts prior to their physical! Improvise adapt and overcome.

I know how you guys operate....

In WW1 physical standards for Marine Corps and Navy were stricter than Army. Navy and MC vision standard was "75% of normal vision" what this means is Navy and MC requirement was to read the vision chart down to line 20 standing 15 feet away vice the normal 20 foot distance. So Navy and MC could have 1/4 less than 20/20 normal vision, or conversely 75% of normal vision. Meet that standard and you are eligible. Army standards allowed for entrance with varying degrees of vision and corrected vision. Navy and MC also had a maximum height of 74 inches. Steve McG

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it was in "Battleground Pacific" by Sterling Mace that I read where he said that no Marines in his outfit wore glasses and that he couldn't remember seeing any Marines on the front line wearing glasses. I believe he also said when they were relieving an Army unit on Okinawa, he was surprised to see so many soldiers with glasses.

And he admits to cheating to pass the Marine eye test!

• 3 weeks later...

Great unit photo Savage, check out that corporal above the one with the glasses, he's old! I love looking at these pre war unit photos to see the contrast in the ages and ranks among them.

• 2 months later...

The marine on the right has glasses. I have his full grouping and he ended up with the 8th MG Company 5th Marines 4th Brigade for every engagement.

post-2182-0-27625600-1518306484_thumb.jpg

Here's a not too good photo of a photo of Donald Mitchell, USMC in 1918. He was a DI at Parris Is. during WW1. According to his nephew, he tried repeatedly to be transferred to any unit in France and finally succeeded, arriving Nov. 15, 1918. I have his brother's uniform, Roger Mitchell, 13th Regt. USMC at Camp Pontanezen. There were also 2 other brothers that were in the Army.

post-2137-0-40546100-1518354859.jpg