Post WW1 Overseas stripes use

max1337

Were blue/silver overseas chevrons used for later uniforms, such as lapelled open collar M1926? Or did all Overseas chevrons convert to gold at some point after the war?

When did the overseas stripes size become standardized?

Blue and silver chevron's did not convert to gold. Their use and wear were rescinded. Only WW1 overseas service in six month increments in the Zone of Operations counted for the gold chevrons. Less than 6 months service overseas and stateside service were no longer reflected by chevrons.

thanks for the clarification! when did the WW1 overseas service chevrons' size become standardized for use with WW2 uniforms?

Hello!

The WWII overseas service bars were authorized in 1944. If a soldier was authorized any WWI overseas service chevrons, they were worn below the overseas bars the man was entitled to. One other note, some units in the Army of Occupation at the end of WWI wore an unofficial red bar below their overseas chevrons to denote the Occupation duty status. Some units, like the 50th Infantry Regiment, arrived in Germany after most of the AEF had already gone home. They seem to have worn the red bar exclusively to denote their overseas service. MHJ

Thanks! Another question came up, when did the blue and silver chevrons got rescinded? Was it immediately after the war? Was there an exact date?

Also, when did the width of the chevrons become narrower like the one on the right in the photo below? I was told sometime in the 1930s, but I wanted to know a more accurate date.

Here are a couple in my collection,

post-9146-0-84426200-1507500526_thumb.jpg

I believe January 1923 was the last date the overseas chevrons could be earned. That is when the last US units left the occupation of Germany. I have never seen a date for ending the silver or blue chevrons. The guy to ask is world war 1 nerd. I believe he did a large input of chevron information a few years ago on this forum. If he does not know I don't know who would. MHJ