D-Day helmet on ebay

Costa

Screamingeagles101

A bugle is a rating, not a rank.

For example, the picture Ron added earlier, and Hunt just again, is a Petty Officer 2nd Class rate (in Navy terms), with a bugler occupation or "rating".

The term "rank" doesn't properly apply in Naval parlance, as I understand it.

So could I be he just wanted to put his "rating" on his helmet? Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So could I be he just wanted to put his "rating" on his helmet? Doesn't seem unreasonable.

In the navy we'd put our rating on lots of things. It's a symbol of who you are. Just how the different branches poke fun at each other, navy rates tend to stick together and make fun of other rates. I was an MM (knuckle dragger) and made fun of Sonar Techs (shower techs), Nav Electronic Techs (Nav-ettes), etc.

So, yeah... rating is a source of pride for most enlisted guys.

<------------- I forgot I actually have my rate in my avatar pic!

What if the guy wasn't a rated bugler? What if he was just a musician who played the bugle? Here's a James I. Adams who could fit the bill...

Screenshot_13.jpg

Screamingeagles101

What if the guy wasn't a rated bugler? What if he was just a musician who played the bugle? Here's a James I. Adams who could fit the bill...

Looks like strong possibility. This would also be a PTO situation.

Looks like strong possibility. This would also be a PTO situation.

He actually drops off the muster rolls on 31 July 1943, transferring to Naval Training Station, San Diego, so where he ended up is unknown.

Screamingeagles101

He actually drops off the muster rolls on 31 July 1943, transferring to Naval Training Station, San Diego, so where he ended up is unknown.

Possibly training for a massive beach invasion somewhere in the ETO ;)

So maybe, the rate was on his helmet from his time in the PTO and than later applied the band for the ETO? Or maybe it's a different helmet.

Dave, you may have him. who was it that mentioned that the helmet came from California? well the vet is from California. could be him.

Well I picked up the trail through Nov 1943. He went from NTSSD to RSSD General Detail. Then he transfers to "STEMBLE CCPFFLG" and I have no idea what that is supposed to be? If someone can translate that I might be able to pick him back up again.

Well I picked up the trail through Nov 1943. He went from NTSSD to RSSD General Detail. Then he transfers to "STEMBLE CCPFFLG" and I have no idea what that is supposed to be? If someone can translate that I might be able to pick him back up again.

The USS Stemble was a destroyer that served in the PTO.

So I tried USS Stembel (different spelling) and found this in Nov 1943. It seems like a pretty good coincidence that his transfer shows "STEMBLE CCPFFLG" in Nov 1943 and then I find this tucked away in the Nov 1943 muster roll of the Stembel. There are a couple of lists with passengers right next to this page but I couldn't find James I. Adams listed on them.

post-109234-0-14437200-1507221766_thumb.jpg

Could it be USS Stemble? It's supposed to be spelled Stembel, but apparently the "le" change was pretty common (you can google and get results either way). CCPFFLG would mean something like a flag allotment for:

Commander, Cruisers Pacific Fleet

Commander, Carriers Pacific Fleet

Just a couple of wild guesses...

I'm thinking it's C-i-C Pacific Fleet, Flag Allowance. EVERYTHING so far points to this guy being in the Pacific.

Yep...that sounds even better! Being a musician, that would kind of make sense...

And here's a screenshot of the Stemble (note the misspelling) during D-Day on Iwo Jima...

Screenshot_14.jpg

Could it be USS Stemble? It's supposed to be spelled Stembel, but apparently the "le" change was pretty common (you can google and get results either way). CCPFFLG would mean something like a flag allotment for:

Commander, Cruisers Pacific Fleet

Commander, Carriers Pacific Fleet

Just a couple of wild guesses...

Dave, I was incorrect. It's properly spelled Stembel, though I've seen it spelled the other way as well. Either way, it's hard to see a Normandy connection with the Navy musician who apparently spent his navy career in the PTO.

Bill

Well that's where the trail runs cold. It appears that he left San Diego en route to the Pacific fleet but there's no telling where he ended up. Everything found so far has him on the west coast though so I'm fairly certain he had no connection to D-Day.

I don't know anything about helmets, but I love a good mystery...so here's an out of the box question: Does it have to be Navy? Could this have been a Coast Guard helmet? Maybe the Navy thing has us all barking up the wrong tree? And since the Coast Guard musters aren't online, he's not showing up anywhere else...

Just a thought!

I'm certain the following explains the entire mystery:

A dealer in fake helmets contracts out his helmet painting to a talented artist who doesn't totally understand things-military. In this instance, the dealer's instructions to the artist may have been "I need a USN helmet with an invasion band." The painter misinterpreted these instructions as "I need a USN helmet for an invasion band." The artist figures, "buglers do play in the band and that would be a nice added touch".

Or maybe not....

Dave, you may have him. who was it that mentioned that the helmet came from California? well the vet is from California. could be him.

It was me sir, the seller told me he bought the lid in California

I'm certain the following explains the entire mystery:

A dealer in fake helmets contracts out his helmet painting to a talented artist who doesn't totally understand things-military. In this instance, the dealer's instructions to the artist may have been "I need a USN helmet with an invasion band." The painter misinterpreted these instructions as "I need a USN helmet for an invasion band." The artist figures, "buglers do play in the band and that would be a nice added touch".

Or maybe not....

:lol: ...One time at band camp with a can of paint......

Just out of curiosity, what would be the value comparison between this exact helmet being proved to be a Normandy D-Day helmet and it being proved to be an Iwo Jima D-Day helmet? Both would be far out of my range, I'm sure, but wondering about Europe vs Pacific collectability and pricing.

Thanks.

Mikie

Just out of curiosity, what would be the value comparison between this exact helmet being proved to be a Normandy D-Day helmet and it being proved to be an Iwo Jima D-Day helmet? Both would be far out of my range, I'm sure, but wondering about Europe vs Pacific collectability and pricing.

Thanks.

Mikie

Hard to say and most likely what ever the price bid to win it.As with ebay its an aution and you will see something priced at a show for less and not sell.