A.E.F Nurse grouping that got away

P-59A

Nope, One of the guys I buy from called me to his home to give an him an opinion on what he thought was a WW1 Army Doctors paper grouping. It was what he thought, but at the bottom of one of the box's were all these smalls. The guy who owned the box's had come to the conclusion the Doctor served in France and his wife, a nurse was State side.I Took the box's home and started sorting out the papers and found the Nurse who later became the doctors wife served in France during WW1 and the Doctor was State side. As I was doing this the guy who owned the box's had told another collector about the box and that guy had deep pockets. I attempted to get the owner to split it up as The nurse did this before she was married. Every thig sold as a group and I was priced out.

I was a little butt hurt on how it all went down, but I have bought some seldom seen items from this guy before and I don't get everything I want in the real world so in the end it is what it is and I still buy from this guy. He is a picker and sells at one of the swap meets I go to.

I am thinking I've had roughly the same experience.

You know, there is something to be said for just having the opportunity to look over something like this.

There will be a next time. But thanks for sharing the photos!

She was a Red Cross nurse and an Army nurse at the time. The s/n on the Red Cross pin predates WW1. The Army at that time relied on the Red Cross to supply Nurses.

A group like this is rare. Their are not many like it to compare to for value. I was at $500.00 for her items alone and was told the other collector had deep pockets and was willing to spend whatever to get all of it.

I should mention the guy who bought the group is a medical doctor and this is what he collects. It's not like he bought it to flip it. I work construction so I don't have deep pockets. The Administrator is correct. I was very fortunate to be able to take this home and figure out its meaning. I was allowed to take all the pics I wanted and to share her story. The seller trusts me to be honest about my observations of things I look at for him, that is why I was allowed to take it home with no constraints on my part. As I said before the seller has sold me things that are just as hard to come by for a very fair price. I would post the best item, but it falls into an area not covered by this web site. I took the grouping not covered by this site to the Antiques Road Show last year and was stunned by the value given on the low end, so in the big picture you win some and you lose some.

Very nice group! Sorry to hear you didn't get it.

The photos of the 5 nurses together looks familiar. I have a grouping to a nurse with a similar/same photo and it looks like the nurse on the right. I may dig it out where ever it is and check.

Kim

Very nice group! Sorry to hear you didn't get it.

The photos of the 5 nurses together looks familiar. I have a grouping to a nurse with a similar/same photo and it looks like the nurse on the right. I may dig it out where ever it is and check.

Kim

Kim, If you find that photo please post it. That would be fantastic.