WW2 26th Infantry Div jacket patches

avenger1212

Looking at used M43, and not quite sure about these patches. The 26th looks different from other examples I've looked at, and more like a more modern patch than WW2....

Could I get some opinions from you guys? Thanks!

post-158021-0-74713900-1506878872_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info patches! I wasn't sure.

Do you believe these patches are likely to be original to the jacket?

Thanks for the info patches! I wasn't sure.

Do you believe these patches are likely to be original to the jacket?

Usually hard to tell, but lets say for now, Probably.

Thanks again! The jacket was found in a veteran's lot with a pair of M1948 combat boots. Research shows the Yankee Division was stateside late 40's into the Korean war. Depending on when this jacket was issued, it could have been in major parts of the end of WW2, or used for national guard duties. I wish it were easier to pinpoint these items sometimes!

Thanks again! The jacket was found in a veteran's lot with a pair of M1948 combat boots. Research shows the Yankee Division was stateside late 40's into the Korean war. Depending on when this jacket was issued, it could have been in major parts of the end of WW2, or used for national guard duties. I wish it were easier to pinpoint these items sometimes!

Are all the items IDed to one vet? And or are there any other 26th Div related items in the lot?

I was wondering that myself. Asking the seller.

It's certainly possible the man served in WW2 and during Korea, perhaps even a different unit. I'm hoping I can get more info, but my impression is that the seller bought the group from an estate sale. The lighter OD liner of the jacket certainly seems like it would have been more likely to have been issued in WW2 than post war. I believe that liner material is leftover M41 jacket materials that were used on the earlier produced M43's.

post-158021-0-42931400-1507343501_thumb.jpg

Well to be honest, lots of times, some Groups are not really Groups, they are just a hodgepodge of items thrown together, by a seller, in some instances, items from different time periods, If this is the case with your stuff, I would worry about it too much, as you seem to have gotten a bunch of WWII/Korean war ere stuff, with perhaps some stuff is from one vet, with some from another. It's when one presumably gets a grouping from a vet with dress uniforms, his medals and their award documents and stuff that one has to keep care.

Took a risk on this, and bought it. Will have it next week. Hopefully in hand inspection and photos will help determine what we're looking at here, and help pinpoint if it's original and just salty from field use, or rather yardwork. :)

Got the jacket. The photos were a bit deceiving. The inner jacket is the same color, and stenciled/stamped. While most of it is worn off, it clearly still reads "Jackets, Field, M-1950". So, a Korean era piece, in a small regular size I believe if I read it right. Has a faint laundry number S-3708. I don't collect Korean war stuff, so I guess it's back to ebay it goes. Oddly, looking at what they're going for, I think this is worth more as a Korean jacket than I paid for it as a WW2 one.

Thanks for all the help guys!