Hugh Hefner (1926-2017)

Bluehawk

...Hefner was born Hugh Marston Hefner in 1926 and grew up in a strict Methodist family.

He signed up to the Army during the Second World War, and drew cartoons for Army newspapers until his honorable discharge in 1946.

Despite his family's conservatism, his mother gave him a $1,000 loan to publish Playboy - 'Not because she believed in the venture but because she believed in her son.'

The magazine hit with a splash, selling 50,000 copies of its first issue - which featured Marilyn Monroe on the cover - and went on to have seven million subscribers by its second year.

As its star rose, so too did Hefner - and he went on to amass a huge personal wealth that peaked at $200 million.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4927948/Hugh-Hefner-dies-aged-91.html#ixzz4twWsCN95

I never read the articles - just looked at the pictures.

As a writer my biggest thrill was getting published in Playboy - it was only a one-line joke, but I got credit. I also have somewhere my rejection letter from Playboy for an article they apparently did not think was as funny as I thought.

You have to look back at its founding era as being one where all manner WWII vets were able to take a chance on entrepreneurial ventures as never before.

This is me on the school band bus - this photo was in our yearbook and in 1968 would have been considered a little racy.

playboyCU.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

If I had the mag anywhere near my school, the nuns would have beat the crap out of me. Catholic school was such a drag.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I never read the articles - just looked at the pictures.

As a writer my biggest thrill was getting published in Playboy - it was only a one-line joke, but I got credit. I also have somewhere my rejection letter from Playboy for an article they apparently did not think was as funny as I thought.

You have to look back at its founding era as being one where all manner WWII vets were able to take a chance on entrepreneurial ventures as never before.

This is me on the school band bus - this photo was in our yearbook and in 1968 would have been considered a little racy.

attachicon.gif playboyCU.jpg

Cool post...

It is my understanding that Playboy published an article that exposed the Mei Lai massacre to the public. Enough people read the article that the writer was killed not long after it was published.