Surplus Kit Bag, Spec 1140

No Quarter

Hello, I bought this bag today and would like to know exactly what it is and what all the stamps mean. Thanks for any info!

Jacob

post-162535-0-19821200-1506565381_thumb.jpg

344th Infantry was a part of the 86th Division, and went overseas in September 1918 on HMS Northumberland. They were a Depot Division who's troops were used as replacements for front line combat Divisions.

The 3rd Squad of Company C could have been the 17th Squad of the Regiment (but I've never seen something like that noted before).

Most of the bags I've seen that went overseas are marked with AEF, and its kind of surprising that this one is not.

world war I nerd

That's a Squad Surplus Bag. I think they were adopted in 1910, (but I'd have to check to be sure) and they were used during WWI and possibly after.

The squad bag was designed to carry the squad's "surplus clothing, i.e. the clothing they were not actually wearing on their person. The bag carried one extra set of clothing (service coat, service breeches, underwear, socks and pair of shoes) for each squad member, as well as the 3 piece jointed rifle cleaning rod. Buglers & cooks also shared one squad bag.

The bags were carried on the company wagons when in the field and were made available to the men as needed.

The photos are of a Squad Surplus Bag that was recently offered for sale by Bay State Militaria.

post-5143-0-00531800-1506619325.jpg

post-5143-0-89059600-1506619327.jpg

That's a Squad Surplus Bag. I think they were adopted in 1910, (but I'd have to check to be sure) and they were used during WWI and possibly after.

The squad bag was designed to carry the squad's "surplus clothing, i.e. the clothing they were not actually wearing on their person. The bag carried one extra set of clothing (service coat, service breeches, underwear, socks and pair of shoes) for each squad member, as well as the 3 piece jointed rifle cleaning rod. Buglers & cooks also shared one squad bag.

The bags were carried on the company wagons when in the field and were made available to the men as needed.

The photos are of a Squad Surplus Bag that was recently offered for sale by Bay State Militaria.

Thank you, could you please provide the link to the Bay State Militaria listing?

Jacob

344th Infantry was a part of the 86th Division, and went overseas in September 1918 on HMS Northumberland. They were a Depot Division who's troops were used as replacements for front line combat Divisions.

The 3rd Squad of Company C could have been the 17th Squad of the Regiment (but I've never seen something like that noted before).

Most of the bags I've seen that went overseas are marked with AEF, and its kind of surprising that this one is not.

Thank you for the info!

Jacob

Bonjour.

I think we have to do two different stencils:

-2 L 3rd squad. 6.

-344th inf./"C"/17th squad.

It is the "cleaning rod" of one piece that we also meet in this bag. The stencil "AEF" is very little met on these bags.

Solcarlus.

world war I nerd

Sorry the Bay State listing was quite some time ago and the Squad Bag is no longer listed.

I don't recall what the asking price was.

Would this sell for around $100? More or less?

More like $50.00 at the upper end and more likely less, I would think. They do not seem to be much sought after items of equipment unless someone is looking for a specific unit marking.