Question about NOK tags

Dogsbody

Hi everyone, sometimes I come across NOK tags that have the GI's name, ASN and next of kin info but no religion, blood type and T shot date. Does anybody have an idea why that is and why they were issued that way? Any info will be appreciated.

example:

post-169612-0-06955100-1506531511_thumb.jpg

Rene

From my very limited knowledge, the NOK dog tags are early WWII. I think in 1942 or 1943 they changed to the ones that have no address, but have the Tetanus shot, etc. on them. I'm sure someone who know s a bit more might add.

Actually, here is a brief timeline about US dog tag styles:

20 December 1906 > official introduction of a SINGLE Dog Tag (ref. GO # 204)
06 July 1916 > official introduction of a SECOND Dog Tag, i.e. a full pair is now available (ref. C1, GO # 80 + C2, GO # 58)
12 February 1918 > official introduction of ARMY SERIAL NUMBER (too many identical names e.g Brown, Jones, Williams)
01 December 1928 > Dog Tags are now officially part of the uniform and must be worn at all times (ref. C1, AR 600-40)
01 October 1938 > start of tests related to the introduction of a new Identification Tag (introduced in 1939)
TAG, IDENTIFICATION, M-1940 – Stock No. 74-T-60 > official stocklist number + nomenclature adopted in 1940
NECKLACE, IDENTIFICATION TAG, WITH EXTENSION – Stock No. 74-N-300 > official stocklist number adopted in 1943. Length 40 inches. In 1942, the first tag is to be suspended on a necklace 25 inches in length, while the second tag is to be fixed to a separate necklace extension not further than 2 ½ inches under the first one – first models of tag holders were in cotton, plastic, nylon, rayon, the official “double-J” metal necklace was only introduced in 1943 (with hooks & catches) the bead type (initially sold at PXs) quickly became very popular and available in case of loss and gradually replaced the 1943 issue, it was made out of 2 lengths of stainless steel, of approximately respectively 28 inches and 6 inches in length, easy and practical for general use.
TAG 2” X 1 1/8” > official dimensions: 2 inches (long) x 1 1/8 inches (wide) x 0.025 inches (thick). Rectangular form with notch at left (to position tag on the embossing machine) small rolled outer edges, and a single hole (dia 1/8″) for the necklace. Early types were manufactured in Monel and had a capacity for 5 lines of text, providing 18 spaces per line (ref. Cir # 151, AR 600-40, WD, 12 Dec 40). The official Dog Tag required the following information: Name, Service Number, Date of Tetanus Inoculation, Blood Type, Person to Notify, Religion. US Army Spec No. 34-18, dated 15 February 1939 called for production of a thin metal copper-nickel alloy identification tag (i.e. Monel). Because of the high content of copper, Monel Dog Tags had a yellow/brass color (due to wartime shortages, nickel-copper was sometimes used, whereby Monel tags looked more like ‘silver/white’ metal in lieu of yellow). Steel and stainless steel were also in use.
As early as 1941 AR indicated that any member of the US Army was to wear the Identification Tags when in the field or on garrison duty. On 29 December 1942, the overall texts were amended to include that every soldier was to wear his Identification Tags even when dressed in civilian clothes (during passes or furloughs).

Also, here is an interesting page all about dog tags in WWII.

https://www.med-dept.com/articles/u-s-army-ww2-dog-tags/

Hope some of this helps!

In the case of your man, Alvin Cederbaum, he had been a dentist before the war. Not only is his EM tag early, but he had only been an EM for a very brief period of time and would have received his officer tags right after OCS along with his promotion. Being a dentist, I believe (but could be wrong) that these occupations did not require much extra training, especially considering that he had already graduated from dental school in 1939.

The surname suggests that he may have been Jewish and perhaps chose to omit the Religion designation for personal reasons. My 2-cents. Bobgee

The surname suggests that he may have been Jewish and perhaps chose to omit the Religion designation for personal reasons. My 2-cents. Bobgee

No just an early tag. His later tags are marked Hebrew as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk