1833 US Dragoon Sword

hawk3370

Recently purchased a 1833 Dragoon Sword. Made by Ames there were 6000 originally ordered. Unknown how may exist today but I suspect not a whole lot. This one is in excellent condition with an almost mint blade and the only damage is some strands of the wire wrap are missing. Sword is dated 1837 and will make a great companion piece to the Johnson M-1836 flint lock pistol I also recently acquired, it is date 1837 as well. Both the sword and pistol would have been worn by the 1st or 2nd Dragoon regiments. Additional pic in follow on post.

post-6022-0-15679700-1506471223_thumb.jpg

post-6022-0-44008200-1506471242_thumb.jpg

Thank You for presenting them on the forum. I enjoyed seeing them as I have owned and collected several of them in the past and sorry that I had to sell that collection out of economic necessity. But the early pieces were a joy to own. So congrats on having some very nice items.

Ron Norman

Although these had a relatively short service life, most are found in rather ratty condition. Yours is very nice. I don't believe I have ever seen such clear needle-point engraving on a M1833, especially on the reverse. Congrats!

According to Hickox's Collector's Guide to Ames US Contract Military Edged Weapons: 1832-1906, your saber was one of 1,700 ordered on 17 November 1835 and delivered in early 1837.

Nice saber!

According to Hickox's Collector's Guide to Ames US Contract Military Edged Weapons: 1832-1906, your saber was one of 1,700 ordered on 17 November 1835 and delivered in early 1837.

Nice saber!

Thanks, good info.

Terry