WW2 US Army Occupation Germany 540th Military Police Battalion (Railway Guard) Ike with #'d Collar Device

TCSchultz

I came across this Ike recently which initially didn't raise much interest due to it's post war SSI but then I noticed the the branch of service slightly domed screwback collar device for the Military Police was numbered. As it turns out the unit ID'd is the 540th Military Police Battalion (Railway Guard) that provided security on trains in Germany after the war ended and has an interesting website at the link listed below. The Ike is 1945 dated with 3 ribbon bars and the US Army in Europe SSI to the left sleeve along with Corporal Stripes and the above mentioned collar brass. I couldn't find another one like it on line or here in the forum so I thought I'd post it to share with everyone.

https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?https&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/MilitaryPolice/USAREUR_540thMPBn.htm

post-17286-0-81427100-1506266855_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-45150900-1506266867_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-93585800-1506266880_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-95311200-1506266891_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-23449300-1506266906_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-40916100-1506266917_thumb.jpg

THe chevrons date it to post 1954, so it would have been worn by a career soldier. I'm surprised that we don't see an Occupation or National Defense ribbon on the uniform. The domed brass is clutch back.

Allan

Thanks for the correction on the device being clutchback and not screwback as I had a brain cramp and the Ike chevrons are typical WW2 as I have seen on numerous other Ike's in my collection so I'm sorry but I don't agree with you on the 1954 date. The ribbons are all WW2 and the Ike is dated 1945 as well.

I was not disparaging your uniform, simply stating a fact for the others who were looking at the uniform. Note that the chevrons are OD embroidered on blue twill. These date to the period after the "Atomic army" small size chevrons. They aren't WWII. There is a reference book on chevrons by Bill Emerson for sale on the forum right now. It is a FANTASTIC reference for dating chevrons, which will help to date uniforms.

Allan

Ron,

I would agree that the brass and chevrons do indeed look to be German made with the addition of detailed photo of the stripes. When viewing the chevrons in the earlier photos, the blue to the twill appeared to me to be a lighter shade (probably the lighting) which would indicate a1950's chevron. This chevron has a much narrower embroidered edge than the later 50's era chevrons. That being said, the move to domed brass, a white gold rather than brass and clutch back fasteners would again lead me to late 40's as opposed to immediate post war manufacture. Thoughts?

Allan

I don't think the ribbons are original to the jacket.

• Jacket dates to the 1947/1948 time period (USAREUR patch introduced in 1947, but still has WW2 style chevrons - not the small 1948 chevrons) - would probably have an Army of Occupation ribbon
  • With the 3 ribbons that are present, should be an American Campaign ribbon
  • I assume no combat patch/overseas bar, yet has the ETO ribbon with star
  • Ribbons are sloppily mounted singles (fine for a 1945 going home jacket, but a couple of years later, multiple ribbons most probably would have been neatly worn on a single bar). All USAREUR-related photos I have seen show very sharp uniforms.

Sure, there are exceptions to each individual thing I listed above, but when you put it all together, I'd say someone added those 3 ribbons to an otherwise original jacket that was missing its original ribbon(s).

Still a very nice jacket.