WW2 USMC blade grouping

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, I went to a swap meet today and squired these 3 blades from a vendor. He said, he cleaned out an estate a couple of weeks ago, and these came out of it. He said they belonged to the same soldier.

First up: WW2 USMC BOLO

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

Next up: a WW2 USMC Kabar

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After cleaning up(still a bit wet)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Screamingeagles101

Last one: A Pal, I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I know I've seen them before on here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Screamingeagles101

Here is a pic of the back of the medal piece with the name on it. I'm assuming this was made by the marine? Can this be aluminum from an aircraft?

Posted Image

A photo of all the marines blades:

Posted Image

You've got some winners there; the Bolo looks llike a Clyde, and the 6-inch knife is a PAL RH 36, a fairly common but nice early WW2 Army knife (before the M3). Particularly like the Bolo sheath with the Marine's name (assuming Marine) and looks to be unit (4th Marine Division?).

Screamingeagles101

You've got some winners there; the Bolo looks llike a Clyde, and the 6-inch knife is a PAL RH 36, a fairly common but nice early WW2 Army knife (before the M3).  Particularly like the Bolo sheath with the Marine's name (assuming Marine) and looks to be unit (4th Marine Division?).

Thanks, is Clyde a more rare manufacturer?

Yes, looks like he carved the 4th marine div insignia in the sheath. Who knows, he might have used the Kabar to do it haha. It's pretty cool what he did with the medal plate.

Screamingeagles101

If anyone has any interest in these, please contact me, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this grouping.

Thanks,

Dom.

Screamingeagles101

Thanks to U.S. Dog, more info was found out about the marine. He was a Corpsman in the 4th engineer battalion 4th marine division!

Marine from the 4th marine div.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=54704&share_tid=297975&share_pid=2394345&url=http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/297975-Marine-from-the-4th-marine-div%2E/page__view__findpost__p__2394345&share_type=t

Screamingeagles101

If he was a Corpsman than he was Navy.  Wouldn't surprise me at all that he'd have U.S.M.C. equipment though.

It says is rank was a pharmacist mate, yet it also says he was in the 4th marine division, how can this be..?

Just some input that might help ID the grouping. Corpsman were not Marines, they were Navy personnel (that would explain the Corpsman's Bolo and the Pal). At the beginning of the war they actually wore different uniforms than the Marines but at Guadalcanal it was found that made them preferred targets so they changed the Corpsman's attire to Marine uniforms. That and their close proximity and relationship to the Marines they were attached to made them "more" Marine than Navy - that explains why he had a Marine emblem on his gear.

A very nice grouping from a man doing a job very appreciated and respected by the Marines he was with.

It says is rank was a pharmacist mate, yet it also says he was in the 4th marine division, how can this be..?

That would be the proper rank for a Corpsman attached to the Marines

Screamingeagles101

Really like the group. Especially the corpsman knife.

Thanks, it's my first Bolo, it's unbelievable how heavy it is

Nice group. The USMC does not have its own Medics or Medical depts. The personnel are all US Navy. In the USMC, especially in the Fleet Marine Force (FMF), Navy Corpsmen serving with them are regarded a brothers - important brothers. While serving in the Corps they have the choice to wear either Navy or USMC Class A uniforms, as long they conform to Marine Corps grooming standards. In the field they the same uniforms and same gear as the Marines they serve with. Semper Fi - Bobgee

Screamingeagles101

Nice group. The USMC does not have its own Medics or Medical depts. The personnel are all US Navy. In the USMC, especially in the Fleet Marine Force (FMF), Navy Corpsmen serving with them are regarded as brothers - important brothers. While serving in the Corps they have the choice to wear either Navy or USMC Class A uniforms, as long they conform to Marine Corps grooming standards. In the field they wear the same uniforms and same gear as the Marines they serve with. Semper Fi - Bobgee

Very interesting.

The Corpsman could have been an E4 thru E6 [Petty Officer 3rd class thru 1st class {I think}].

Chuck

RD2, USNR, 1953-61

Not sure how it works in the Navy, but I used the wrong word "rank". Whatever his rank, his rating, or field, or MOS, or whatever they call it in the Navy would have been "Pharmacists Mate".

Art

Nice group. The USMC does not have its own Medics or Medical depts. The personnel are all US Navy. In the USMC, especially in the Fleet Marine Force (FMF), Navy Corpsmen serving with them are regarded a brothers - important brothers. While serving in the Corps they have the choice to wear either Navy or USMC Class A uniforms, as long they conform to Marine Corps grooming standards. In the field they the same uniforms and same gear as the Marines they serve with. Semper Fi - Bobgee

The choice of dress uniforms must be something recent. Back in my day they wore USMC dress uniforms with Navy emblems and rank insignia on them.

Art