ROAD RUNNER CO E TAM- VIETNAM PATCH

firefighter

I always thought this had something to do with the USMC. Possibly Third Amphibious Marines? Found it id'd in the book shown. Is the id correct, is it Marines, or just garbage?

Thanks Posted ImagePosted Image

Patchcollector

I have the same patch but the back of mine is different.I don't think that it is Marine related,most likely Army as Mr. Tucker has stated.I had always figured it was a Transportation unit related piece though,but that was just a guess.

Your patch looks to be authentic War era made IMO.

I have the same patch but the back of mine is different.I don't think that it is Marine related,most likely Army as Mr. Tucker has stated.I had always figured it was a Transportation unit related piece though,but that was just a guess.

Your patch looks to be authentic War era made IMO.

Thank you PC. It is a great book with a lot of nice patches, including some of their back. Nice section on Recon Team patches. But I did notice that some patches were misidntified, a few AF Civil Engineer units listed as Army Engineer.

IH, do you have any provenance to go with it? I have the same patch and it's had several IDs over the past years but I don't think any thing solid has been provided with the IDs. Yours sounds the most feasible, however.

Patchcollector

E Company, 723rd Trans Bn. TAM stands for Transportation Aviation Maintenance. Vietnam made.

IH

Thanks for the ID IH.I figured it had something to do with a Transportation type unit.

E Company, 723rd Trans Bn. TAM stands for Transportation Aviation Maintenance. Vietnam made.

IH

I am not finding a reference to a 723rd Transportation Bn. in the Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register, DA PAM 672-3.

I am thinking this would more likely be E Company, 723rd Maintenance BN. This would have been the divisional maintenance battalion for

the 23rd Infantry Division. This unit does show up in the register.

I tried finding a Vietnam era TO&E for the 723rd but was unsuccessful.

It is possible that their Echo Company could have been a Transportation Aviation Maintenance unit.

Maintenance Battalion is the correct designation in this case. Normally TAM's are part of Transportation Battalions. The patch was illustrated on an older website of B Company, 123rd Aviation Battalion. Web sites change over the years as new webmasters take over a site. In this case the reference to E Company is no longer found on the current website. E Company was carried under the 16th Aviation Group.http://www.asalives.org/ASAONLINE/23rdinfd.htm

IH

Excellent detective work! I think I was on that page and saw 723 Maintenance Bn., but did not scroll down far enough to see that E company was detached to the 16th Aviation Group. It makes sense though, given their message.

This is a good illustration of how complex a fielded division can be with all kinds of changes to the command and reporting structure.