CASE Smooth Handle M3 for Study

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just found this one on ebay. Item #272858849709. It's a smooth handled CASE guard marked M3. Well, probably "not"! First thing you will notice in your study, is the guard is stamped sideways. I have never seen a legit CASE stamped in this manner. This guard is like the one I posted the other day that is fake. Also CASE smooth handles have straight guards, and stamped "CASE" above the blade. Also legit smooth handles, were not stamped w/ Ordinance Bombs. So, check it out, study, and let's discuss the legitimacy of this blade. Honestly, fakes/ and rebuild are getting way out of control. I do not know the seller. Do your homework, don't get burned! SKIP

I'm wondering if we maybe seeing a lot of knives surfacing from older collections with pieces in them that are rebuilds/parts knives from shortly after the War? That and rehafted knives would account for at least some of what seems to be showing up.

Not sure, but I think it may be that we're all more attuned to, or aware as to what's legit. I'd say in part, to all the good books that are available, and the level of communication between us collectors looking out for each other. I believe we're all catching more questionable knives. SKIP

Something about those markings seemed familiar to me. I finally realized it was from our fellow member Frank Trzaska's Knife Knotes #10 years ago. He posted pics of a similar Case knife. I don't know if Frank ever solved this mystery (he has solved so many for his fellow collectors) but at least this shows that similar blades have been around for a while and were not created last week.

Case Knife M3.JPG

Regards,

Charlie