Help identifying medals seen at flea market

Tonomachi

I saw this impressive display of medals from an unidentified USN Commander at the flea market today. The seller told me that he had already turned down $1,100.00 but wouldn't give me a price on how much he would sell it for. I don't know if it is worth this kind of money but he let me photograph it. He said it came out of the estate of a USN Commander. When I asked him if he had a name to go along with these medals he told me that he was going back to get the name. There is a WW1 victory medal with a "Patrol" clasp so this USN Commander served in both world wars. I was wondering if anyone could identify the bottom most medals which are foreign (Asian) and probably Chinese and Thai.

post-1389-0-52751400-1506146866_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-03698300-1506146881.jpg

The first two starting on your left...

Order of the Cloud and Banner 6th class

Order of the Cloud and Banner 5th class

I believe that is correct.

Many thanks for the identification. I wonder what type of job this Naval Commander held with all of these foreign nations during the war to be presented with these awards.

In addition to the foreign awards he also has the Army Distinguished Service Medal.

Many thanks for the identification. I wonder what type of job this Naval Commander held with all of these foreign nations during the war to be presented with these awards.

Assuming this grouping really did come from the same person, that OSD badge, coupled with the pre-war Chinese awards and an Army DSM ought to make it relatively easy to identify the owner.

The fourth award is the Chinese Order of the Precious Tripod (Pao Ting), fourth class.

The foreign awards alone are worth over $1100.

The fourth award is the Chinese Order of the Precious Tripod (Pao Ting), fourth class.

Thanks Jeff...that makes more sense .I should have read the small print...

rps20170923_080530.jpg

Thanks for the identification. I wonder if this Naval Commander worked closely with Chiang Kai-shek to have been awarded all of these Chinese medals?

That is a nice group of medals that I suspect have an interesting story to tell. Probably worth figuring out how to buy them from the flea market guy. As stated, there is significant value in the foreign awards alone...

I would say for me something of interest is the navy marine corps medal for heroism third from the left, if that is an early example of that medal named that alone could also be worth in the 1000+ range depending on recipient/action etc but named examples of that medal are very rare in my experience. I would say the grouping is without a doubt worth more then the 1100 offer! Without a name though it would be tough to give you an exact number!

Very neat with the Chinese awards. Too bad that it doesn't have a USN small-ring LOM or ring suspension (first) China Service. The flea market seller that won't give you a price, sounds like he's casting for appraisals, an impromptu bidding war or looking for a sky-high offer. If he comes up with a name that checks out, I like that group a lot. If you want it, and given what an expert has valued the foreign awards at, maybe a nice round $1500 on the flea market table might turn the guy into an actual seller.

Ed- as Mariner pointed out, if that Navy Marine Corps medal is named, that really kicks it up--even unnamed and original wrap brooch as it looks to be, kicks it up. Do you know if the medals are glued down or can they be removed to see the back of that medal and the LOM? I have a hunch what flea market it is-- which would make sense. Like finding gold at Sutter's Mill. ;-)

I can only fine one Commander, USN, who received the Army DSM through War Department General Orders (there certainly were other possibilities for making the award, so this is not definitive).

He was Allan P. Calvert (later RADM)who received the DSM for service at Guadalcanal. Calvert was a PT boat flotilla commander (JFK had PT-109 in Calvert's flotilla)

I can only fine one Commander, USN, who received the Army DSM through War Department General Orders (there certainly were other possibilities for making the award, so this is not definitive).

He was Allan P. Calvert (later RADM)who received the DSM for service at Guadalcanal. Calvert was a PT boat flotilla commander (JFK had PT-109 in Calvert's flotilla)

Jeff, you are GOOD. I believe you nailed it. Arlintoncemetery.net says he was awarded the "Army DSM with 7 bronze stars" on MacArthur's staff. For more circumstantial evidence, I'll bet that's a discombobulation for "the Army DSM and LOM with 7 oak leaf clusters"-- which is exactly how many this LOM has.

And I'll bet this is coming out of Calfornia based on where he died and where his daughter lived.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/apcalvert.htm

Hmmm.... Only thing got me wondering is that he did graduate in 1924 from USNA, so would have entered in 1920, which makes the WWI Vic problematic.....

Hmmm.... Only thing got me wondering is that he did graduate in 1924 from USNA, so would have entered in 1920, which makes the WWI Vic problematic.....

Unless he has prior enlisted service?

Bill

That's possible. He was born 9/17/01. An ancestry family tree shows him living in Michigan in 1917 and in 1920. 1920 census has him 18 years old and living at home with his parents, occupation "none". Unfortunately, that year's census did not have the question of "military service".

Dang...what a group! I don't think it would be terribly difficult to pin this guy down. I have a hunch he may have been a "retread"...a WW1 veteran who was retired then recalled for the war and ended up in China. I'd even go so far as say there's an OSS connection somewhere...might be a stretch, but I don't think so.

I would also be willing to bet that he wasn't a Commander when he retired. Maybe he was a "commander" of something and the story got mistranslated? I personally wouldn't get tied up around the rank that the seller is giving. A commander with an Army DSM and three LOMs would have been mighty unusual.

I'd personally go out on a limb and buy it, hoping to get an ID...but that's me! :)

Then again, looking at the photo again...Yangtze Service and American Defense...he was a pre-war officer, for sure. So, maybe not on the retread idea.

The Yangtze should be numbered. Once the ID is close to being pinned down, that should be the key to ID it, based on the documents in his service file.

Cloud and Banner 4th and 6th class. Precious Tripod is correct on ID by JBFloyd.

I think he had to be somewhere in the CBI theater to have received those Chinese awards as they do require assistance to the Chinese national government for it to be awarded. I don't think being in the Pacific would have entitled him to it. It could be his service post war, but I don't think many were in the assisting role, but just a few advisors probably.

Most Chinese medals were awarded in 1945-1946 period to American servicemen for their assistance in the CBI.

Any updates?

I was wondering the same thing......not often you see a grouping so large with all the foreign awards and a VERY impressive US medal grouping as well!