Captured Iraqi Flag Signed

trenchfoot

Recently got this captured iraqi flag signed by US soldiers. It is from OIF and looks to have been signed in Bagdad 2003. Does anyone see anything that may identify a unit? There is a few numbers and some phrases like "Rock 7 Delta" written on it. Very cool piece as I haven't seen many signed iraqi flags.

post-163344-0-48384400-1506134590_thumb.jpg

Odd thing is, this style of flag was only used until 1991. Then it changed to having "God is great " spaced between the stars until 2004. Then they changed how it was written, then in 2008 kept the letters but got rid of the stars. If this was picked up in 2003 than it was really outdated.

Odd thing is, this style of flag was only used until 1991. Then it changed to having "God is great " spaced between the stars until 2004. Then they changed how it was written, then in 2008 kept the letters but got rid of the stars. If this was picked up in 2003 than it was really outdated.

I noticed that. Collecting Iraqi stuff makes you quickly realize that you will find stuff that isn't quite normal.

Yeah I picked up a lot of junk the first time I was there during the invasion. You would definitely see some oddball stuff so nothing really surprises me. They would use stuff until it fell apart, much like our military did once upon a time.

• 2 weeks later...

There were several Iraqi "locals" selling hand made Iraqi flags with just the stars at the "Safwan Bypass" on the other side of the Kuwaiti border. All the ones I saw only had the stars, not the post Desert Storm, Saddam mandated verbiage (the Marsh Arabs didn't much care for Saddam). The red, white, and black stripes were sewn, but the stars on mine were painted, not sewn. I got mine for $5. That one Trenchfoot has might have been one of the deluxe models. It's great that it's signed all over. I wish I had done that with mine.