Any idea what this patch is. 6222nd Air Base SQ repro

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

I can't remember the exact ID right now but unfortunately this patch is a fake.

OK back up your assessment this particular patch is a fake with some facts. Statements like "it's a fake" doesn't get us anywhere.

Since this is the first thread on the forum for this insignia I thought that I would include as much about the insignia as possible.

My level of expertise on Vietnam era patches and originality are at the novice level so I will post several reproductions or new patches that are on ebay.

post-122868-0-65718400-1506113770_thumb.jpg

Nicely made Japanese version

Irish, I accidentally combined the statement and the patch from the website in the same post.

Is the original patch in post #1 a Japanese version or the one in #11? My statement was aimed at #1. I apologize for the confusion.

As far as the originally posted patch, I doubt its authenticity as well. The stitching of the central design (airplane) looks like it was done on a modern computer controlled machine. It also looks like it has been artificially aged by staining, which is an immediate red flag. Very different in the details with the one shown from Lee Jackson Militaria.

The OP patch is consistent with the repros coming out of SEA lately. Computer stitching and artificial ageing as others have pointed out are hallmarks of these. Most, if not all originals I've seen are Japan made. Of those posted above, only the Lee Jackson one looks good.

Randy

Irish, I accidentally combined the statement and the patch from the website in the same post.

Is the original patch in post #1 a Japanese version or the one in #11? My statement was aimed at #1. I apologize for the confusion.

Steve, I was referring to the patch on the Ljm website you posted,Sorry for any confusion.

Steve, I was referring to the patch on the Ljm website you posted,Sorry for any confusion.

It is an authentic Japanese made Vietnam era patch, and very nice.