lafeyette flying corps badge- difference between star and no star

blind pew

It has been suggested that the star was for those who joined the lafayette flying corps prior to the entrance of the US into the war. That would account for the assertion that there are fewer badges with the star than those without.

Is it possible that the star was for officers?

Any thoughts?

I don't have the answer you're looking for... but thought a couple of visual aids might help the request for help?

Thanks for the visual aids! I think I just bought both of those badges. One is from baystate militaria, the badge with the star is from ebay (it is actually real, not a fake from ebay!).

One wonders about the star- the french pilot's badges had the star during ww1 and ww2. That leads one to believe the presumption that the star was for those serving prior to involvement of the US.

Not definitive to be certain, but during WW1, the star motif was somewhat generally used to denote; "early volunteers." Sometimes called; "First 100,000" or "Early Over" stars, they were most commonly worn on the left cuff above the overseas chevrons.

The most common "explanation" I have heard for these badges is that the star indicates the wearer was a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps before the US entered the war. But I have never found a definitive reference.

I think it not-unreasonable to speculate that the star appurtenance may express a similar meaning--until the real meaning comes to light.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I would bet Dennis Gordon would know.

I received my Lafayette Flying Corps badges with and without the star. Interestingly, comparing them side by side, the piece without the star is a much sharper strike. This would suggest an earlier badge, not later, as has been suggested.

Any thoughts?