Case Dagger (v42) for study

ccyooper

First saw this one a couple of days ago. First time I've ever heard of a V42 with a crossed cannons ordinance stamp. Also the thumb print looks like it's cast into the blade and not cut like usual.

It sure looks like a repro to me, the thumb print is wrong. Ordinance stamp? Since I don't own a V-42, I would look to Ron Doyler, he knows V-42s. SKIP

Someone is paying hefty sum for it not being original last i recalled it was in the high 700s! Glad this one was posted i was very curious about it myself! Curious what an original WW2 period example would be worth ? Thanks in advance

Agree with Les and Sactroop

The blade looks stamped.The thumb print isnt cut/ground as originals were.

The guard looks to thick as well.

Reminds me of a Chinese copy.The pin in the pommel wouldn't be hard to add by a skilled person and the ord stamps can be bought too.

Link to Frank t's site showing a few copies

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/v42.htm

I have one of the Continental Precision made reproductions.they are well made.The pommels on the COPPI brand are threaded and not pinned.

The early Chen/Chinese copies had etched company markings which would easily be scrubbed off.

Reminds me of a Chinese copy.The pin in the pommel wouldn't be hard to add by a skilled person and the ord stamps can be bought too.

That was my first thought as well, I have a Chinese Army dagger that reminds me of this blade a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imho, In addition to the thumb print and a few other obvious problems that a little research would have enlightened bidders to, another give away is the cheap or pitted steel of the blade. V42 blades were hand crafted and built by what I believe were the best craftsman at Case. They were highly skilled and I have never seen a blade that was not impeccably finished with unblemished steel. They would never let a knife in this condition leave the factory with a blade that had pits and blemishes like this knife has.

This is not an original WW2 Case V42. The differences have already been noted, but also include the wrong edge on the pommel. Should be thinner and slightly turned down toward the blade. Guard too thick, should be stainless steel and the bend is wrong. Metal is grey, should be gun blue. Thumb print stamped, not cut. Blade grind not hollow ground. This worthless knife is either a post war repro or an individual's effort toward reproducing.

Who was the schmuck that bought that knife.....it was me. Thanks to all that posted to this thread. Especially to you CCYOOPPER.I was able to cancel the purchase. I still have a lot to learn on some of these knives.

Thanks again to all. I do love this forum and it's members. Have a fine Navy day!

Rick (Schmuck)

The forum at its best...Thanks gentleman for being inquisitive enough to expose a bogus knife and save a lesser knowledgeable collector from a mistake.

It is a complete repo. Nothing to it is right and is just a copy. If someone is going to pay big bucks, they best be sure it is right. I did see it on eBay but everyone knows about eBay. These have been around for a while. They're nice if you want an example and can't afford a 'real' one. Feel sorry for the guy who ends up buying this. He is in for a surprise when he finds out it's not a real V42.

Who was the schmuck that bought that knife.....it was me. Thanks to all that posted to this thread. Especially to you CCYOOPPER.I was able to cancel the purchase. I still have a lot to learn on some of these knives.

Thanks again to all. I do love this forum and it's members. Have a fine Navy day!

Rick (Schmuck)

Glad to hear you were able to get out from under this purchase. Don't beat yourself up too much, we've all had the experience of learning the hard way. If I was convinced the knife was real, I'd have been jumping on the chance to get one for about 30 cents on the dollar too.

Thanks Sactroop. I definetly will do my research next time. The knife looked good to me but I have never seen one up close. Didn't even think there were Chinese fakes.

I have a lot to learn yet but do have the Cole books and others.

Thanks

Rick

This just popped up on ebay again, with a "Buy Now" price of $995. Ebay item # 152716253271. Ad states the other person backed out, non-payment. Glad no one got burned.. SKIP