Marine Raider Patches - Variations Reference

stratasfan

suwanneetrader

I posted on this earlier but it never appeared> - Strange ?

Ever since I started collecting USMC I never felt knowledgeable enough on RARE patches to buy on net or a show so I only bought from the family of the Marine who owned it. So I only have a couple. Now in these postings a faker can find many RARE all together clear, detailed photos.So I am now even more paranoid to buy a Raider Patch. I'm sure these patches are pictured else where for fakers to copy, but it just doesn't feel right "we" are helping them.

I hope this post does not disappear. Richard

If it's any consolation, out of curiosity, I Googled "rare wwii usmc raider patches". None of the first page of results showed this topic. (Whew!). Instead, the first result is a USMF topic from 2008, entitled "What are the Rarest WWII USMC Patches". LOL. In this ol' topic are dozens of ultra-rare USMC WWII patches, with front and back close-ups, and selling dates / prices. So, the fakers have plenty to keep them busy. (Sarcasm)

Honestly though, if you are inclined to hump-up phony patches, you weren't sitting around waiting for this thread. There are only two plausible conditions: 1)Fakers will seek this topic for source photos; or, 2)They won't.

If 1), the photos will just as much serve as a guide for prospective buyers. So, like positive and negative numbers, they cancel each other out (= 0). If 2), it will only help collectors / buyers, with the information being used for powers of good (=+1). So, basic logic tells me only positive outcomes.

Bottom line, stop worrying. The real victory for humpers, as Elizabeth implied earlier, is us not sharing information or enjoying our forum.

Blacksmith - Amen! I totally agree! I am glad I at least got my point out there for someone to understand it! I'm not that good with words, and sometimes it just doesn't come out the way I want to say it!

Eric - WOW! You have left me speechless this morning! What a variety! I am absolutely thrilled to see them! The first Australian with wire one that you show (post #27) is absolutely crazy! If I saw this patch somewhere by itself I would assume it was a "fake" project that someone made! How super fun to see! It almost looks more like a costume patch, especially with the beads and sequins!

The Australian BEVO weave one is also super cool in a totally different style. I like the thin versions. Very cool shape. Also, to see complete embroidered, embroidered on wool and on twill . . . thanks for sharing! I am thrilled to see them! Thanks ever so for posting. I'm going to have to look at these more today and really inspect! I love seeing the differences! It really shows that you should really take the time to learn about an item before you go to buy one, particularly a rarer item like one of these patches. If I saw one in real life, I wouldn't begin to know. I can tell the modern thread by feel, but that is about it! :) Thanks so much, Guys!

I really have to try using bullion thread one time! They look so pretty! ;)

Totally agree, and almost feel like we need a pinned topic on this - as we rehash it, in some form, about every 45 days. Posting close-up pictures of patches is very different than a 'how to' post on artificially aging helmets.

If everyone withheld from posting their stuff for fear of fakers seeing it we wouldn't have much of a Forum now would we? :rolleyes: