A Paramarine's Last Package Home

Brig

A KIA Purple Heart has a powerful effect on some collectors, as it serves as a reminder of the soldier and his final sacrifice. However, there are times when much more simple, yet powerful, reminders appear. Often, these aren't exciting, they don't entice collectors the way a shiny medal or badge does, but instead are the mundane, day to day type items. I think little hits home and reminds us of the sacrifices behind the men behind the items than perhaps the personal affects of a fallen servicemember.

I found this little group being sold as a "Deceased Marine's Personal Effects". My eye caught on some of the paper, and I realized this deceased Marine was a fallen Paramarine.

I have done a cursory bit of research on this Marine, and learned that he served with 3rd Para Bn on Bougainville, and 1/28 on Iwo Jima, where he was KIA. The casualty cards list him as KIA March 19, the book "The First Battalion of the 28th Marines on Iwo Jima" has him listed KIA on March 9th. I'm sure his service record would confirm the actual date.

This group is nothing super rare or exciting, however it is a treasure trove of his history. Included is the inventory letter, not everything on the letter is present, and there are items in the group that were not on the letter. Also, I believe he may have had a brother in the Army, based off a picture and some of the clothing articles included.

Included was a large amount of papers and photos. In this first image is the inventory sheet. Also, some envelopes, a booklet on Army and Navy Insignia, a toothbrush, an envelope with some pencil drawings of girls, and a couple of photos of a man in dapper fedora and suit. I believe this man to be our Paramarine.

Also included is a stack of blank paper, likely the one annotated, and very likely paper he used during his precious free time to write to friends and loved ones at home.

There is a luggage tag, perhaps what dangled from his seabag. There is a matchbook, and a bank book, with his name inside of it. And there is a booklet on why it's important to support the war effort, however stuck on the cover is a card stating 'This is the Home of a United States Marine', which likely hung in the window of a proud mother while her son was at war.

Mundane little items that, because we know their origins, have a very large significance .

100_0878.JPG

Also was a stack of photographs, that I imagine came to him in letters and cards and that he carried with him. Some show friends and family, one I believe a possible brother in the Army. And several photos of a sweetheart back home

There is a letter from a girl to a PFC Robert Williams, who I believe was transferred from 1/28 to 13th Marines, and was also killed on Iwo Jima on March 13. Why it would be in Clarence's stuff we will never know.

There are many pinups of a girlfriend, and later on we will see some letters from her that he carried with him. As we see his family, friends and sweetheart in these images, we have to stop and think of how devastating it must have been to receive this package and to have heard the news

There is an address in a notebook later on to a Christensen who served in the Air Wing, and I believe the photos of the aviator may have been him. Originally the seller thought the Marine this group belonged to was a pilot because of the flight helmet and photos, I imagine

100_0882.JPG

A Thompson manual, I assume it was the weapon he carried. Also a cover of his covers, unmarked. And his jump helmet. There is no USMC stamp, but it is named twice on the inside.

Also, the cigarette case on the inventory sheet, and we have to wonder if he was carrying it on the battlefield

100_0886.JPG

A personal effects bag that was inside the pack... appears handmade. Is this an issue item, or is this perhaps something he made when he was proving his ability to sew as part of his rigger training? And a few other items that were in the pack bag

100_0897.JPG

the contents... more paper, a shave mirror, a little address book, some letters and a Christmas Card. A pencil and comb. Little items that he used daily

100_0900.JPG

The address book...only two addresses on it, I believe one of the aviators in the photos. And, finally, the snippet from the abovementioned book.

Apart, they're just items. Together, a poignant reminder of one Marine's war.

100_0901.JPG

Appendix.JPG

Wow, that's some pretty spectacular (and saddening) items. Dreams of marrying your sweetheart, getting a job, maybe raising a family. All sacrificed, so that freedom may live. RIP Marine.