WWII 101st Airborne Staff Sergeant's Ike Jacket

Allan H.

Here is another one of those Ike jackets that I picked up many moons ago, but thought t might be fun to show the forum. This is how the jacket came to me with the WWII Victory ribbon pinned to the lapel! I took it off but it has been pinned to the lapel for such a long time that the pin holes are obvious. A little steam cleaning, and the problem will "go away," but I thought it might be fun to see how the veteran hung the jacket up and left it after the war.

I am assuming that the veteran served in the 502nd or the 506th PIR since there is a lack of oval or DUIs on the jacket. 501st uniforms tend to have a 501st oval on them when they show up, but it isn't a hard and fast rule, so the veteran could have been from that regiment too. It is obvious, that he spent a lot of time in service, having been in before the German Invasion of Poland. The overseas bars led me to believe that he sailed with the 101st and trained with them prior to D-Day. The 101st ended up with four campaign stars, but this veteran only has three. It is probable that he was wounded in Normandy and may have missed Market- Garden, though he could have missed one of the other campaigns due to illness or injury. The ribbons are hand-sewn to clutch back bars. I always find it funny when collectors voice concerns over the order of ribbons. Take a good look at these ribbons. Note the soiling to the Purple Heart ribbon and, horror of horrors, the Army Good Conduct ribbon is placed LAST on the bar! The good sergeant probably got the Victory ribbon handed to him as he was getting off the boat after rotating home. I would assume that he was one of the high-point men. The absence of the Dutch orange lanyard and the Belgian Croix de Guerre fourragere would lead me to believe that he rotated back before these honors were presented to the division. The Ike has a PUC with large oak leaf cluster and a US made 1st Allied Airborne Army SSI sewn on the right shoulder. These patches are VERY uncommon to find on 101st Ike jackets, even though they were SUPPOSED to have been worn from Market Garden on to the end of the war. Yes, the 1st AA/BA SSI was not a "Former Wartime Unit" patch but was worn to show assignment to this army. AAF uniforms will also have two shoulder patches well before the "combat" patch was authorized. Soldier and airmen serving in the CBI wore two patches on their uniforms well before the end of the war too.

post-151-0-13203900-1505569530.jpg

post-151-0-47710700-1505569544.jpg

Here are some additional photos of the Ike to show detail. I believe the 101st SSI to be what Mark Bando classifies as a "Type 1," the most common of the WWII 101st SSI.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to comments.

Allan

post-151-0-35640000-1505571214.jpg

post-151-0-99058200-1505571228.jpg

post-151-0-69801900-1505571241.jpg

Just asking a question so I can learn more about uniforms. It was okay to place the CIB under the ribbons? I always thought it went above them? Is it because the paratrooper badge is there?

Jacob

Very Nice!

The typical WWII configuration for paratroopers was jump wings on top, CIB on the pocket. That said, they were also worn the other way around by some men, especially early post war. Some troopers, particularly in the 101st, wore both the CIB and wings above the ribbons. Also, some men chose to not wear the CIB at all for whatever reason, even when they had earned one. All of these configurations can be seen in period portraits...

Very Nice!

The typical WWII configuration for paratroopers was jump wings on top, CIB on the pocket. That said, they were also worn the other way around by some men, especially early post war. Some troopers, particularly in the 101st, wore both the CIB and wings above the ribbons. Also, some men chose to not wear the CIB at all for whatever reason, even when they had earned one. All of these configurations can be seen in period portraits...

Thank you for the info!

Jacob

Interesting photo of Staff Sergent Robert K. Marsh E/506 wearing the Ike jacket with US made 1st Allied A/B Army SSI.

I should mention that the chevrons, even though they are OD embroidered on black wool show up as white in the photo because of the photography process of the day. Colors that were similar, but where variation exist tend to be exaggerated to an either very light or very dark tint. This photo anomaly is what makes 1920's and 30's era photos of the 1st Cavalry Division SSI to look like it is black with light horse head and bend when the reverse is true.

Allan

post-151-0-30168000-1506118861.jpg

TheMinistryOfAviation

Absolutely fantastic jacket!

I bet your theory about getting handed the Victory medal is spot on.

Seems like its been put on with a sort of "well guess i'll just put this right here" sort of attitude!

Thanks for Posting!

-Jeremy

I heard a story, however apocryphal, that some GIs were fined if they didn't wear all their ribbons during out processing, hence why you often see a single Victory ribbon at the top of many custom racks. I'd like to think this could be an extreme, middle finger example of such a situation.

I heard a story, however apocryphal, that some GIs were fined if they didn't wear all their ribbons during out processing, hence why you often see a single Victory ribbon at the top of many custom racks. I'd like to think this could be an extreme, middle finger example of such a situation.

I have to agree. While I don't know about the fined part both my grandfather and great uncle recalled being mustered out at Ft Logan seperation center in late 45, the clerk looked at the DD214, handed them ribbons from a box for whatever they earned and that was that. My grandfather told me he "just put them in a row, about where they were supposed to be" got his duck sewn on and that was that. He was only really proud of his cib.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another one of those Ike jackets that I picked up many moons ago, but thought t might be fun to show the forum. This is how the jacket came to me with the WWII Victory ribbon pinned to the lapel! I took it off but it has been pinned to the lapel for such a long time that the pin holes are obvious. A little steam cleaning, and the problem will "go away," but I thought it might be fun to see how the veteran hung the jacket up and left it after the war.

I am assuming that the veteran served in the 502nd or the 506th PIR since there is a lack of oval or DUIs on the jacket. 501st uniforms tend to have a 501st oval on them when they show up, but it isn't a hard and fast rule, so the veteran could have been from that regiment too. It is obvious, that he spent a lot of time in service, having been in before the German Invasion of Poland. The overseas bars led me to believe that he sailed with the 101st and trained with them prior to D-Day. The 101st ended up with four campaign stars, but this veteran only has three. It is probable that he was wounded in Normandy and may have missed Market- Garden, though he could have missed one of the other campaigns due to illness or injury. The ribbons are hand-sewn to clutch back bars. I always find it funny when collectors voice concerns over the order of ribbons. Take a good look at these ribbons. Note the soiling to the Purple Heart ribbon and, horror of horrors, the Army Good Conduct ribbon is placed LAST on the bar! The good sergeant probably got the Victory ribbon handed to him as he was getting off the boat after rotating home. I would assume that he was one of the high-point men. The absence of the Dutch orange lanyard and the Belgian Croix de Guerre fourragere would lead me to believe that he rotated back before these honors were presented to the division. The Ike has a PUC with large oak leaf cluster and a US made 1st Allied Airborne Army SSI sewn on the right shoulder. These patches are VERY uncommon to find on 101st Ike jackets, even though they were SUPPOSED to have been worn from Market Garden on to the end of the war. Yes, the 1st AA/BA SSI was not a "Former Wartime Unit" patch but was worn to show assignment to this army. AAF uniforms will also have two shoulder patches well before the "combat" patch was authorized. Soldier and airmen serving in the CBI wore two patches on their uniforms well before the end of the war too.

Do you have his name ?

dan_the_hun84

That is an excellent point BTW- I have seen/owned a ton of jackets like that- clearly the owner spent out of their own pocket for a sewn, british, german etc made bar, then its got a US issue victory ribbon plopped on the top- even above combat awards like a BSM or PHM