My (very) small collection of CMB's

Dogsbody

Hi all, this is my collection of CMB's. It's not much but it is a start :).

Top: NS Meyer, left: Assmann, right: Robbins, bottom: unmarked.

post-169612-0-01010600-1505502898_thumb.jpg

Reverse:

post-169612-0-83568900-1505502929_thumb.jpg

Rene

Nice badges! I love all of the basic US badges, CIB, CMB, EIB, Parachute, Glider, etc... I have maybe 10 CMB's. Mostly WWII Sterling versions. I'll dig them out for a group shot.

I especially love finding the foreign made US badges like the Assmann you have. I'm not sure if I have any foreign made CMB's. Too many badges, too weak a memory...

Nice badges! I love all of the basic US badges, CIB, CMB, EIB, Parachute, Glider, etc... I have maybe 10 CMB's. Mostly WWII Sterling versions. I'll dig them out for a group shot.

I especially love finding the foreign made US badges like the Assmann you have. I'm not sure if I have any foreign made CMB's. Too many badges, too weak a memory...

Thanks! And, by the way, welcome to the Forum. Would be nice to see a group shot of your collection.

rene

• 1 month later...

amazing collection mate, I've a stupid question about Medical badges: they should be worn by officers during ww2? or all the photos shown the officer after ww2 wearing it?

Thanks in advance

GS

amazing collection mate, I've a stupid question about Medical badges: they should be worn by officers during ww2? or all the photos shown the officer after ww2 wearing it?

Thanks in advance

GS

Thanks!

In short: the CMB is not only for officers but could be awarded to all medical personel below the rank of colonel provided that they were assigned or attached to a ground combat arms unit and provided medical support (in the line of fire) during combat actions. The badge was created in early 1945 as a counterpart of the CIB. A lot of GI's saw it as an injustice that combat medics, who were just as exposed to enemey fire, didn't get any recognition.

Rene

Thanks in advance

GS

If you mean only Officers were awarded them, then the answer is no, both Officers and Enlistedmen were awarded the Combat Medical Badge.

post-34986-0-02111200-1388519410.jpg

As an example, one Sergeant First Class Wayne Slagel, Slagel, in above foto, was awared THREE Combat Medical Badges, one for WWII, one for the Korean War, and the third for the Vietnam War. Slagel is only one of two soldiers so far identified who were awarded three CMBs for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, the other is one Henry Jenkins in below foto, another sergeant.

post-34986-0-30588800-1388520160.jpg