Photo

Wood spoke wheels, tire marked USMC, cannon?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pearlharborbaby

pearlharborbaby
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,130
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

My friend found this pair of wood spoke wheels with U.S. Royal Fleetway tires on them, one tire is pretty rough to read but one has USMC on it, does anyone know when they date to or if used for cannon or what? Thanks and they are for sale but so heavy to ship,

Attached Images

• 100_0205.JPG

Edited by pearlharborbaby, 15 September 2017 - 06:40 AM.

#2 P-59A

P-59A
  • Members
    • Member ID: 169,522
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Back in the old days farmers never threw anything away. When the US was transitioning from horse to mechanical vehicles farmers would take there old horse drawn wagons and have the wood spoke wheels modified to accept pneumatic tires. The rims came from anyplace they could get them. Remember for a time cars and trucks had wood spoke rims too. I have a wagon I picked some time ago in Minnesota from a farmer with the same modifications.

#3 pearlharborbaby

pearlharborbaby
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,130
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Back in the old days farmers never threw anything away. When the US was transitioning from horse to mechanical vehicles farmers would take there old horse drawn wagons and have the wood spoke wheels modified to accept pneumatic tires. The rims came from anyplace they could get them. Remember for a time cars and trucks had wood spoke rims too. I have a wagon I picked some time ago in Minnesota from a farmer with the same modifications.

Thanks, why would tire have USMC?

#4 P-59A

P-59A
  • Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Farmers are not known for spending money. Odds are they picked it from a salvage yard or blacksmith / wheelright had it on hand. For a short period of time wood spoke rims trucks and cars had split rims. Your tires and spare tire were mounted on a rim that was a metal hoop. That would go over another metal rim that was your rim and you would bolt them together.

Edited by P-59A, 15 September 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#5 P-59A

P-59A
  • Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Google model t wood spoke split rim and look at images. Your wheel is off a farm wagon. Military wood spoke split rims are different. Farmers used modified wagons well into the 50's. They modified the tongue and pulled them behind tractors.

Edited by P-59A, 15 September 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#6 USARV72

USARV72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,975
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

"USMC" can mean United States Metal Corporation", they made lots of things, especially GI gas cans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users