US Marine in Fallujah with a G3?

McDermut99

I found this photo on Facebook and was wondering if the guy on the right is a Marine or a interpreter? If he's a Marine, why does he have a G3? If he's in fact an interpreter, was it common for them to use such a large amount of US gear and clothing? The photo was apparently taken in Fallujah in 2004. Here is the article it came in:

https://gatdaily.com/operation-phantom-fury-ten-years-ago-in-fallujah/

542afad49956777005cc6b98ba5df9db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Iraqi National Guard was to work along side of the Marines for the operation/assault but understand they discarded their uniform and weapons prior to the operation.During the later pending truce in May there was a Traffic Control Point manned by a Marine Platoon and Iraqi National Guard

Another possibility might be one of the coalition partners. I am not sure where in Iraq they served but I know Bosnia, the Dominican Republic, and El Salvador to name a few all sent troops to Iraq and these countries use the G3 rifle. From my understanding the US provided these countries forces with US uniforms and individual equipment and they drove US HMMWVs during the deployment.

I've seen plenty of photos with Marines posing with captured weapons. PPSh, MP44, and MP5s, to name a few, aside from the more "traditional" Russian and Chinese stuff. Possibility?

Semper Fi,

Ski

When you go to the article you linked, right click the picture and hit 'view image', it comes up with the image's original name which is "Dave_Sammy". Dave is pretty clearly on the left, Sammy on the right, and with that being said, hes more than likely working with us forces. Note the lack of a rhino mount on the helmet, his goggles which look to be civilian, also looking at his chinstrap as it rests on his chin it may be RBR style. The next best option here would be to facebook the author and see if he remembers Sammy and who he was.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Marine. We didn't arm terms. The helmet the Marine is wearing with the NVG mount is the style that hooks on the front lip of the helmet and is anchored in the back. He also has his NVG bag on his thigh. The other guy doesn't so he doesn't need the mount. Not all service members where issued NVGs. As for the G3, most likely pulled from a weapons cache. We had one we took and used it as wall hanger in our shop. I had a Soldier carrying a captured AK during the Fallujah fight in Nov of 04. He carried it because he was separated from our unit. (we were in Sadar City and sent some EOD bubbas to help in the fight)His weapon had a severe malfunction and it took a week to get him a replacement. So its not far fetched. Plus early on, it was the wild west over there. My BN CO carried an MP5. EOD BN's don't get cool stuff like that. He took from a bad guy who didn't need it anymore!!!! LOL!!!

Smitty