Vintage ITC Battling Betsy Motorized Model Tank

McDermut99

It's been a long time since I've worked on a model but I couldn't resist buying this kit when it came up in a local auction. I'm still going through all the pieces to see if I can figure out if/what parts it's missing. The model is of a M41 Walker Bulldog and is of great quality. It looks as though someone started it but stopped fairly early in the process. The original instructions and unused decals are still there and the box is in pretty good shape. I'm not too knowledgeable about vintage models so any information would the great.

Any comments especially from the model building crowd are great appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great find there! Takes me back to my childhood. Here is some more info on ITC Model Craft you might enjoy reading.

www.oldmodelkits.com

Then do a search for: itc-ideal-toy-company

There was a time when model manufacturers debated whether their products should be toys with a "play" aspect to them. This reflects that time period. They were afraid the 8 to 12 year olds would not be interested in models that just sat on the shelf.

I couldn't see any motor on the second pic. Will that tank be "operational" if it is assembled? Nice boxart btw, I like that nearly "flying"/shooting tank in front of this scene of destruction.

• 1 month later...

Wow, memories of building this in 1961! This was a great kit for the time period, the operating features actually worked. I recall running this thing in a wooded section of my neighborhood and was impressed with it's realistic appearance "crashing" through the underbrush and climbing over downed trees (large twigs).

Thanks for the post, love these trips back to yesteryear.

I couldn't see any motor on the second pic. Will that tank be "operational" if it is assembled? Nice boxart btw, I like that nearly "flying"/shooting tank in front of this scene of destruction.

Yes, but it begs the question... what was the tank shooting at with the gun elevated at such a high angle? Especially if it was moving!

Yeah where's the motor, I'm seeing metal gears right, so would this be a wind up affair, and not like Tamiya's 70s battery 1/35 scale kits? Nah it says Electric on the box :D What kind of batteries are needed! Hmm, a very interesting kit.

Yes, but it begs the question... what was the tank shooting at with the gun elevated at such a high angle? Especially if it was moving!

Yeah where's the motor, I'm seeing metal gears right, so would this be a wind up affair, and not like Tamiya's 70s battery 1/35 scale kits? Nah it says Electric on the box :D What kind of batteries are needed! Hmm, a very interesting kit.

Thanks for all the comments so far! I haven't done a complete inventory of the parts but I have yet to find the motor unfortunately. Judging by the state of the model's parts whoever started building it stopped early on and may have used the motor and related pieces for another project.

Real sorry to see that that motor is not present, hope it not a blown project for you. Perhaps a vintage replacement one can be bought? or a vintage one that will be compatible?