jeep any good

Okie96

I found this add on craigslist. It would be neat to get a project to work and learn on, especially a jeep but I don't know a lot about these. Not a 503 member so thought I'd come here as I do not know a whole lot about these. Any ideas?

00j0j_lSnOi8KWnN3_600x450.jpg

G503.com is a good forum to be a member of if you plan on owning ANY military vehicles. There are more experts on vehicles on the site than anywhere else. Just like there are more members that know Militaria here than anywhere else I know.

From mechanics, to hood numbers to the guys that write the books. All around best site there is on military vehicles, especially on Jeeps.

I could help you on Dodges, but know nothing much about Jeeps.

Now I do not know much about the specifics behind military Jeeps, but I am currently in the middle of the restoration of my 1977 Camaro so I do know a little about automotive restoration in general. This Jeep looks as if it will require some extensive bodywork. Not quite sure how the repro part market is for these. Good case scenario, someone makes replacement body panels and all you have to do is rip out the old and weld in the new. Worst case scenario, you have to fabricate or find used all the rotten pieces. Don't get me wrong it could be restored, but only with a lot of time and/or money.

I'd go look at it and look it over real good, inside, underside, and out. Check the main structural components such as frame, frame mounts, and suspension mounts. If you feel it is a little too much for your skill set, let it go. There are plenty more out there.

From the pics, it doesn't look too good.

Yeah, gee willikers, I'm not sure "extensive" covers it. I hate to be a dream squasher, but that body is rotten to the point that I would worry about the frame being soft as well.

Now I do not know much about the specifics behind military Jeeps, but I am currently in the middle of the restoration of my 1977 Camaro so I do know a little about automotive restoration in general. This Jeep looks as if it will require some extensive bodywork. Not quite sure how the repro part market is for these. Good case scenario, someone makes replacement body panels and all you have to do is rip out the old and weld in the new. Worst case scenario, you have to fabricate or find used all the rotten pieces. Don't get me wrong it could be restored, but only with a lot of time and/or money.

I'd go look at it and look it over real good, inside, underside, and out. Check the main structural components such as frame, frame mounts, and suspension mounts. If you feel it is a little too much for your skill set, let it go. There are plenty more out there.

From the pics, it doesn't look too good.

Looks like a CJ indeed. These a fun jeeps on themselves though. Almost every part of WW2 jeeps is being reproduced, and jeeps are fairly straight-forward to work on. I really need more & better pics to be able to say more about it.

Thanks for the replies all. I had my doubts about the condition and figured some of the body parts were incorrect. Figure I'll just keep my eye out. Maybe I'll get lucky and come across somebody someday who has a halftrack in their barn they just want gone. :lol:

If you are serious about getting into jeeps (or any MV for that matter) you can't really avoid joining the G503.com messageboards, as already mentioned above. There are also lots of vehicles and parts offered for sale on there.

• 1 month later...

Golly. The guys have shared good info. Not military, not WWII, not a good candidate for resto. I looked for two years before I bought mine. There are good jeeps out there. Be patient. I paid less than $3k for this one... it turned out fine.

post-24805-0-01094800-1509075402.jpg