Just a Vietnam Era M-1 Helmet

Andrei

Picked up on eBay a couple of years ago for dirt cheap. I don't claim this helmet to be a Vietnam vet bring back but it sure does have the look of a marine lid.

WW2 SB lid married with a VN era airborne liner.

post-467-0-14251700-1505217450_thumb.jpg

post-467-0-05734000-1505217453.jpg

It would be one of the earliest Parachutist P64 liners then.

The first dates of manufacture of these liners could be easily researched, I guess.

I don't believe this is a 1964 liner.

Early 1964 m1c liners in nylon are out there, and the ones I own and have seen all have a sewn line inside the liner that runs with the suspension, the hardware on the yokes are also square'd off like those you'd find on late 50s and early 60s m1c liners with no front eyelit, cottom webbing and 4 point snap in nape band.

They also don't have the flared rear or pointed front like this one has.

But the sewn line is always in the 1964/65 m1c liners.

J

It would be one of the earliest Parachutist P64 liners then.

Correct, p64 liners were made in parachute modles in 1964. However, they are very hard to find.

I have one, and it took me a very long time to find it.

I don't believe this is a 1964 liner.

Early 1964 m1c liners in nylon are out there, and the ones I own and have seen all have a sewn line inside the liner that runs with the suspension, the hardware on the yokes are also square'd off like those you'd find on late 50s and early 60s m1c liners with no front eyelit, cottom webbing and 4 point snap in nape band.

They also don't have the flared rear or pointed front like this one has.

But the sewn line is always in the 1964/65 m1c liners.

J

I have double checked and I read 1964 if my old eyes don't betray me. What do you mean by a sewn line?

I have liners with really pointed front. This one in comparison has a pretty round shaped front.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cover is heavily worn, has brown lines seen with water damage, where water is wicked up from the bottom. The rip at the top is weird, looks like it was a big rip, not a small one that grew over time, there are no long threads. The suspension at the top is not stained with sweat and grime from hard use.

I have double checked and I read 1964 if my old eyes don't betray me. What do you mean by a sewn line?

What Jake shows in his second photo is what I am referring to, all 1964 m1c nylon liners I have seen and the one I own has this sewn line around around the entire liner.

What is the marking in the crown?

J

I checked the liners I have. Two of them have the circular sewn line, one infantry and the other one is airborne. Stamps are unlegible in both of them, due to the wear of the sweatband clip.

juodonnell2012

Here is mine it is dated 18 FEB 64. It also has the sewn line in the nylon Justin was talking about. The liner was found with a 1950s mccord made helmet and USMC 1959 cover. Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Ok, I peeled my eyes and looked very carefully at the stamp. It's not 1964, I can't read the last digit. 1968 maybe.

The marking inside the crown looks to be US | 7 7 and the Firestone F.

This weekend, I will shoot pics of my airborne liner with the sewn line.