Early WWII Camouflaged Fixed bail and Hawley liner set

WWII_GI

I picked this one up the other day, it's a nice and early fixed bail shell (59B) with casted brass chinstraps. It also has some amazing dark green camouflage all across the exterior with a little bit of darker green underneath some parts. The paint definitely shows some age and I do believe it to be original and period done. In addition it has a matching first pattern Hawley liner. The liner and shell both have the numbers "11" and "8" painted in red paint. The liner and shell also both have rust and rust stains that match up perfectly. The seller I purchased it from said that he got it from the vets estate and that,

"It belonged to F.H. Blomgren, who served in Belgium and France in the 104th Infantry Timber wolf division."

There is a piece of medical tape inside the shell that does have his name on it but it looks like it was put in there recently.

Thanks for looking!

-Steven

post-104606-0-24680300-1505092557.jpgpost-104606-0-91249600-1505092563.jpgpost-104606-0-64892600-1505092566.jpg

I found his obituary as well as his grave, sadly he passed away in 2005. His obituary states that he retired from the reserves as a Colonel in 1976 and served during WWII in France, Belgium, and England. I asked the seller and he said the tape was in there when he got it. Its really stuck in there and appears to have been there for awhile but I'm doubting since WWII. Haven't found a connection to the 104th infantry yet, will keep looking!

-Steven

http://www.tributes.com/show/F.-H.-Jim-Blomgren-92197590

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Blomgren&GSfn=F&GSmn=H&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=178891794&df=all&

I was able to bring it home from college this past weekend so It's safe and sound in my collection. I requested his file from the archives so hopefully that has some good information! I took some better pictures so I figured I'd share them here.

Thanks for looking!

-Steven

post-104606-0-12995900-1505754423_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got his enlisted file in the mail today, looks like it was damaged in the fire that destroyed a lot of the Army records. It was incomplete and really just shows that he went to OCS in mid 1942. My researcher said his officer file is in the archives but they were unable to find it. They're gonna keep looking for the file but it isn't looking good. Will update this thread if I get any more information.

-Steven