HGU-33 w/MBU-14 Just picked up today!

horridohutch

Just picked up a beautiful HGU-33 today that had the original MBU-14! The bonus is the mini-reg still attached to the hose.... I don't know what squadron yet but the mask still has a name on it. I am looking forward to researching my new find.....

post-133566-0-02882900-1505075869_thumb.jpg

Looks like VF-211, what is the name on the mask? I was in VF-211.

I wonder what that white wire is on the redar hose?

Name on the mask is.... LANG, the mask has a 86/87/88 date and the mini reg has a very cool sticker on it. Not sure about the white wire, I asked the kid if he did that and he said no.

post-133566-0-27592800-1505081722_thumb.jpg

The sticker on the regulator indicates the regulator was inspected by collateral duty inspector (CDI) number 95 onboard the USS Nimitz. The regulator was made ready for issue (RFI) on Julian date 9030. 30th day of 1989.

Chris

The sticker on the regulator indicates the regulator was inspected by collateral duty inspector (CDI) number 95 onboard the USS Nimitz. The regulator was made ready for issue (RFI) on Julian date 9030. 30th day of 1989.

Chris

Good info! Thanks Chris....

Well, here is a LT T H Lang in VF-211 on the Nimitz. On the 88-89 cruise, problem is.... no wings on the gentleman! Did he forget to pin them on that day? Hardly, what Naval Aviator would forget his wings? Now why would a groundpounder have a mask with his name on it? Maintenance rides ? Joy rides ?

The AF gave out incentive flight in fighters for us MX folks...do not know if the Navy did off of a carrier...maybe when they were back on a NAS? If it is a MX guy Navy might have looked the other way for a spare mask and helmet walking away...or maybe he was in life support??

speculation based on the above info

Just found out that Tom "Clubber" Lang was one of the Intel officers in the squadron...... pretty cool that he must have got some flight time! Found a nice shot of some of the pilots on the Kitty Hawk cruise of 1987.

post-133566-0-94263600-1505186253_thumb.jpg

post-133566-0-54997000-1505186280_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well a disappointing turn of events.... it has been pointed out to me in my search for Mr Lang that this helmet was stolen from his garage in 1989. I contacted a woman ( His wife it turns out ) on FB to see if she could put me in touch with him and the facts were laid out to me last night by her. I have attempted to contact him by email at an address provided and am presently waiting a response from Captain Lang USN ret.

Well a disappointing turn of events.... it has been pointed out to me in my search for Mr Lang that this helmet was stolen from his garage in 1989. I contacted a woman ( His wife it turns out ) on FB to see if she could put me in touch with him and the facts were laid out to me last night by her. I have attempted to contact him by email at an address provided and am presently waiting a response from Captain Lang USN ret.

Oh wow!! Truly unfortunate. Pleas keep us updated.

Chris

horridohutch

I have returned the helmet to Mr Lang. The Captain was very grateful to have his property back. It was stolen from his garage in 1989 along with some other personal property. I met him today and as soon as he took off his sunglasses I knew it was he. He was the AIO in VF-211 and had some time in the F-14s. He did not elaborate the missions and I did not ask, he was very happy though to have the helmet back in his possession. He called it a miracle, he never thought he would ever see it again. It was authorized by the CO to be made and was one of a very few Intel guys that were given helmets. He served at TOPGUN as the Intel man and was part of the contingent that went over to the former Soviet Union in the early 90s. He also served with the Special Forces during the first Gulf War, but it was his time with the "Checkmates" that he was most fondly speaking of. He gave me one of his flight suits, emablazoned with the VF-211 checkerboard. This with a few other items which he did not have to. He wanted to make sure that I knew that he was thankful to have it back. I just hope some day that I can find another, time will tell.

I have returned the helmet to Mr Lang. The Captain was very grateful to have his property back. It was stolen from his garage in 1989 along with some other personal property. I met him today and as soon as he took off his sunglasses I knew it was he. He was the AIO in VF-211 and had some time in the F-14s. He did not elaborate the missions and I did not ask, he was very happy though to have the helmet back in his possession. He called it a miracle, he never thought he would ever see it again. It was authorized by the CO to be made and was one of a very few Intel guys that were given helmets. He served at TOPGUN as the Intel man and was part of the contingent that went over to the former Soviet Union in the early 90s. He also served with the Special Forces during the first Gulf War, but it was his time with the "Checkmates" that he was most fondly speaking of. He gave me one of his flight suits, emablazoned with the VF-211 checkerboard. This with a few other items which he did not have to. He wanted to make sure that I knew that he was thankful to have it back. I just hope some day that I can find another, time will tell.

Very cool. Frankly after some of the stuff that's gone on in the militaria game, it's nice to see another one of these stories. Very classy move :)

• 5 years later...

Just found this post, and appreciate the story! Horridohutch, that was a wonderful thing to do.

Is this the same “Lang” helmet and mask that was pieced out and the center of an online auction “ransom” ? I hope not, but seems awfully coincidental. 

1 hour ago, cggill85 said:

Just found this post, and appreciate the story! Horridohutch, that was a wonderful thing to do.

Is this the same “Lang” helmet and mask that was pieced out and the center of an online auction “ransom” ? I hope not, but seems awfully coincidental. 

I have a feeling that more of Lang's flight gear was stolen.

lancecriminal86
1 hour ago, cggill85 said:

You talking about the MBU-14 shell? That's a different one, there was a Marine VMAQ-2 helmet iirc and the MBU-14 was assumed to have gone with it, but the individual with the mask (who is pretty well blackballed on the collecting FB group), actually tore the mask down and was selling just the shell and kept jacking the price after someone had posting if anyone had won the auction so he could bring mask + helmet back together.

8 minutes ago, lancecriminal86 said:

You talking about the MBU-14 shell? That's a different one, there was a Marine VMAQ-2 helmet iirc and the MBU-14 was assumed to have gone with it, but the individual with the mask (who is pretty well blackballed on the collecting FB group), actually tore the mask down and was selling just the shell and kept jacking the price after someone had posting if anyone had won the auction so he could bring mask + helmet back together.

Yes, that’s the one I was referring to. Really gross situation, but I’m glad it’s not the ending to this story!