VN 1972 196th LIB Equipment Help?

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

This photo is from a snapshot of members of the 81mm Mortar Platoon, Co B, 2nd BTN, 1st Infantry, 196th LIB as they awaited their last Huey flight from the chopper pad on Observation Post 56 in June 1972. Can some members of the Forum help me in identifying exactly what this soldier is packing? Specifically, what is the large box on his shoulders? Is he carrying an ammo box under his left elbow? What are what look like tubes under the large box. And the large rolled item behind his right elbow? Are those bandoliers around his chest?

I am creating a 1/6 display with this soldier in it and I want to make sure I get the details as right as I can.

Thanks!

Jean

post-12350-0-05996300-1504885985.png

Agree

Looks to be an ammo can on left side and cloth bandolier as a chest pouch which was a common way to carry additional spare magazines for the M16.

Hard to say what the roll is unless its a poncho or sleeping bag.Doesn't look like a bladder canteen but never know.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Yes that's a bandolier, pretty common to see guys in Vietnam wearing bandoliers like chest rigs or belts. Sorry I can't help you with the rest.

I had an 81mm plt. The box on top the pack looks like it is for equipment to the weapon system. Maybe a site box or box for the aiming circle. I believe that's the direction you might want to look in.