Actors Who Were There.....In Real Life Then In Movies.

Started by patches , Sep 07 2017 07:22 PM

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

Steve McQueen
In 1947, Steve McQueen joined the United States and was promoted to Private First Class and assigned to an armored unit. Initially, he reverted to his prior rebelliousness, and was demoted to private seven times. He took an unauthorized absence by failing to return after a weekend pass expired, staying with a girlfriend for two weeks until the Shore patrol caught him. He resisted arrest and spent 41 days in the brig. After this, McQueen resolved to focus his energies on self-improvement and embraced the Marines' discipline . He saved the lives of five other Marines during an Arctic exercise, pulling them from a tank before it broke through ice into the sea. He was assigned to the honor guard, responsible for guarding then US president Harry Truman's yacht. McQueen served until 1950 when he was honorably discharged. He later said he had enjoyed his time in the Marines.

Here's some great fotos of him that I think haven't been posted yet, it's on another Military related site, so we'll just link it to view them rather than copy them here.

https://www.ar15.com..._man/5-1809674/

#52 usmce4

usmce4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 168,413
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Steve was in the Marine Corps. He was  Amtrack Crewman 1947-1950

I stand corrected (and proud of Mr McQueen) ---- Thanks for that info I was under the wrong impression many years.

....And I'm enjoying your thread as well

Art

#53 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 9,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

From "A Bridge Too Far" to "A Princess Bride"

If you've ever watched "A Princess Bride" you should recognize the line: "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

The line about the land war in Asia made me wonder about the author of the book and if he was a vet. Sure enough, William Goldman, served in the Army during the Korean War albeit as a clerk in Washington, DC.

More surprising to me was his other projects, he wrote the screenplay for Steven King's "Misery" and the screenplay for Cornelius Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far." Quite a wide range of projects.

Edited by BEAST, 21 February 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#54 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

Clement J Stadler..jpg  

Clement J. Stadler Captain USMC, Stadler was a WWII Navy Cross winner, and appeared in the 1966 released movie Ambush Bay, as a Marine Officer, a Captain, Captain Alonzo Davis, he also doubled as the film's technical advisor :) . Actor Hugh O'Brien in it was also in the Marines in WWII as we all know, purportedly the youngest ever serving Drill Instructor

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Ambush_Bay

https://valor.milita...s.com/hero/8346

Stadler, who was a retired  Lieutenant Colonel was also a technical advisor on the TV show on the Marines, The Lieutenant.

Edited by patches, 22 April 2018 - 08:35 PM.

#55 HOA

HOA
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 179,286
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

Eddie Albert of Green Acres was at Tarawa with the Navy.  He ferried wounded Marines back to the hospital ship.

#56 Bodes

Bodes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,180
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Eric Braeden was born in WW2 Germany as the son of a high ranking nazi official....He went on to portray a German officer in "The Rat Patrol"....Bodes

#57 Bodes

Bodes
  • Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

Robert Clary (LeBeau) and Werner Klemperer (Klink) were jews living in Europe during the Third Reich....Klemperer fled Germany and fought in the US Army, while Clary was in a concentration camp....Both were on "Hogan's Heroes"...Bodes

Edited by Bodes, 06 May 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#58 Bodes

Bodes
  • Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Robert Ryan served in the Marine Corps during WW2....Acted in various war movies, including The Longest Day....Bodes

#59 sapper23

sapper23
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,142
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

Just a quick not, steve McQueen should have been recommended for the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for that rescue on the ice, he definitely risked his own life from what I have read about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)