WWI USMC BAR bandoleer

Steve1987

Hi guys,

Here's a question I've been wondering a while. It regards the WWI USMC BAR bandoleer manufactured by the Marine Corps Depot in Philadelphia.

In Alec's book Equipping the Corps he states these were marked U.S.M.C. as well as 'Left' or 'Right' depending which side it was meant to be worn on.

However, to date I have only ever seen ones marked 'Left' even in the most advanced books and USMC field gear collections. I don't know of a single survivor marked 'Right'.

Does anyone out there have a 'Right' marked example or know of photos of one? I know this is a pretty rarely encountered piece of grunt gear, but I figure this is the place to ask! It was the WWII USMC BAR belt thread that got me thinking about this again. For anyone not familiar with these, here are some photos of my 'Left' side I was fortunate enough to acquire.

36217033484_38207b61c4_b.jpg

36217033624_58b87b57aa_b.jpg

Cheers,

-Steve

The only one that I have is a LEFT also.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else have one?

I'm sure Jim will be by soon, but I believe last time I asked him he also only had a LEFT. I saw one other on a French website, again it was just a LEFT, same with the examples in Alec's books. Is it just coincidence?

I have noticed two minor variations, on the belt/strap that goes over the should have sewn ends and and some have steel ends.

-Steve

Steve, you're killing me again... :P

Fellas, I have both left and right Bandoleers, but they are both made by Long, and not at the Depot!

post-3226-0-39842100-1504763458_thumb.jpg