Gregory Boyington signature......

Flightpath

Hi,

over the weekend I was looking through some press photos on eBay.

One was a photo of WW2 USMC ace Gregory "Pappy" Boyington.... I checked the back to see if there were any details there.... just a "Pappy Gregory Boyington WW2" written along the bottom and a date stamp SEPT 14 1945.

But there, right in the centre was this signature: "Gregory Boyington"....

I thought that it was strange to have this on a press photo so I checked his signatures on the net.... sure enough it was the 1945 signature of WW2 USMC ace Gregory "Pappy" Boyington!

Maybe there was a fan at the newspaper who took along a print to an interview... I guess we will never know but for $18 I think it was worth buying!

I will show the photo without the seller's watermark after it arrives.

Cheers, John

post-105780-0-70118400-1504510161_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the photo arrived today, I was disappointed that it was damaged along one edge in the post, I trimmed the photo and it actually looked a nicer shape.....

It's nice with the date stamp next to the signature.....

post-105780-0-76900400-1505411825_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have looked at others on the net and am wondering, maybe in a 1945 press meeting there was that time he didn't do it like he did later and with 'Pappy' ect.... but now I'm not so certain anymore.....

I found a copy of Pappy's book in a second hand book store. I lucked out and it was autographed. The cheerful and intelligent young girl working the counter that day had no idea who Gregory Boyington was.

post-10825-0-37369900-1505478103_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-32517700-1505478115.jpeg

Nice photo!

I don't think that is a signature-- biggest indicator to me is the grouped last name (Boy ing ton). I don't see that in other examples.

Scott

Nice photo!

I don't think that is a signature-- biggest indicator to me is the grouped last name (Boy ing ton). I don't see that in other examples.

Scott

No, me neither, at least it's a photo that I have not seen before and is dated.......

Being a mil watch and wing person it's nice to see both too!

Next time maybe ;)