Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:10 AM

Me too..! Planning on a Friday visit.

#4 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

Do you know are there still tables left?

I have only been to the one in Indy, so I have lots of questions:

Any hotels with Bars nearby?

Good places to eat?

anything that is good to know about loading in/setting up? (eg. at the SoS it is far easier for us to park and unload and cart in than wait in line and drive in)

Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Jerry, 06 September 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#5 MAW

MAW
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,778
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

I'll be there...set up in the cheap seats...AKA "the action room".... Stop by and check us out!

#6 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Do you know are there still tables left?

I have only been to the one in Indy, so I have lots of questions:

Any hotels with Bars nearby?

Good places to eat?

anything that is good to know about loading in/setting up? (eg. at the SoS it is far easier for us to park and unload and cart in than wait in line and drive in)

Thanks!

http://www.sosovms.com/the-MAX-Show/

Hello Jerry - I hope you will be joining us at the MAX!  To find out about tables - call Bill at the OVMS office: 513-245-9540.  Have a table application ready to roll, just in case.  Those are available on the web, at the link above.

To quote from the MAX Show section at the OVMS website: "There are quite literally thousands of dining options in the greater Pittsburgh area, with plenty of choices for every appetite and all budgets.  Whether you prefer the elegance of pine nut-crusted elk at the Hyeholde, or chicken-fried chupacabra at the Eat-n-Poop, you will not go hungry at the MAX Show. "

As far as setup, there is no drive in option for this show, so everybody is carting it in.  Packets are available starting at 1:00 pm on Wednesday.  You can drop off your stuff (and set up as much as you wish at that time) from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.  The old MAX rule used to be 'drop-off only, no setting up', but this is quite comically impossible to enforce, so when the OVMS acquired the show, we dispensed with that regulation.

Edited by Shenkursk, 10 September 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#7 MAW

MAW
  • Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

This show is rapidly approaching...it's the next best thing to the SoS....everyone should come if possible!

#8 hwright

hwright
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 44,172
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

One week from right now, can't wait

Hal

#9 Waltz41

Waltz41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89,245
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

Was making plans to drive out the 4.5 hours from Philly on Friday, never mind the actual drive itself......however.....I just found out my daughter has a special dance event that evening.  If I decide to make the trip and come home for my kid's thing, I'm only going to have maybe 5 hours at the show.  Is it worth it or am I going to feel like I missed too much to make the big drive?  That enough time to get a good look around at US WWII stuff?  Or should I save my time and gas money :-)

Any thoughts?

#10 JBFloyd

JBFloyd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 293
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Row C, tables 8-11

Four tables of genuine worldwide orders, decorations and medals (no Third Reich).

Drop by and say hello!

Jeff Floyd

#11 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

In case you did not receive the OVMS email:

It's almost here!  The MAX Show is just days away.  Tables are sold out - every square inch that the fire marshal will allow to have a table is occupied.. so over 990 tables of historic arms and military antiques will await you when you visit Monroeville.  Don't be left at home to wonder what you have missed - join us at the Monroeville Convention Center!   The Doubletree Hotel informs us that the MAX Show room block is sold out as well, but when last we spoke they did still have a few rooms available in the hotel at their regular rate.  If you have made a last-minute decision to attend, give them a call.  412-373-7300  Otherwise, there are plenty of other hotels in the area, with options for most every budget and level of expectation.  Details are available on the MAX Show section of the OVMS website.  

click here for all of the details on the MAX

Monroeville Convention Center
209 Mall Plaza Boulevard
Monroeville, PA 15146

In other news, OVMS business manager Bill Combs reports that we will be seeing some new faces at the MAX this year.  He has been contacted by family members and friends of several deceased long-time collectors who have decided to utilize the MAX as the mechanism to liquidate estate collections.  It is always preferable to see items emerging from old collections simply because the owner has changed interests, but estate collections are a fact of life.  The silver lining, as expressed by several of the family members, is that the former owners would be pleased to see their life-long interest in military history passed along to the next generation of collectors.  For collectors at the MAX, it means that items which have been long hidden away in collections will be on the market for the first time in decades.   One final note - parking in and around the Monroeville Convention Center is adequate(ish), but not exactly what you would call abundant.  We have made arrangements for the shuttle bus to patrol not only the far reaches of the convention center lot, but also the overflow parking which is available just across the street at the Monroeville Mall.  Remember, the more calories you burn walking to the show, the more chicken-fried chupacabra you can tackle later that night at the local Eat-n-Poop.. but if you're not into that, don't worry about the parking - just wave down the shuttle, and the driver will drop you right at the door.

DO NOT, under pain of death and/or towing, park at Babies"R"Us.  In the past they have lodged very animated complaints (appropriate, I suppose) about having more than three or four minivans in their spacious parking lot at any one time.  They apparently are expecting an imminent run on pacifiers, diapers, and Fisher Price smartphones.  As likely or not as that might be, it is their lot, and we respect their wishes.  So, though tempting, please do not push their big, colorful buttons - those baby people are mean.  

And, if you are a dealer or dealer helper, and are not physically disabled, we respectfully ask that you park as far away from the convention center as you can when you arrive in the morning on Thursday, and especially on Friday and Saturday.  Let's leave the nearby spaces for the customers.   If you are traveling, be safe, and we will see you in just a few days.  The shows are a wonderful opportunity to add to our collections, reconnect with old friends, and learn new things.  Your OVMS friends await you in Monroeville!  

MAX Schedule

THURSDAY
9:00 am to 5:00 pm Dealers
12:00 pm to 5:00 pm OVMS Members — membership is $40 and is available at the door

FRIDAY
8:30 am to 5:00 pm Dealers
9:00 am to 5:00 pm OVMS Members & PUBLIC ($10 per day or $18 for 2-day pass)

SATURDAY
8:30 am to 5:00 pm Dealers
9:00 am to 4:00 pm OVMS Members & PUBLIC (open until 5; dealers are allowed to start packing at 4:00

SUNDAY
9:00 am to 12:00 pm Dealers & OVMS Members only (dealer pack-up day)
Dealers only from 12:00 pm until whenever Lance from WWII Books finally leaves 

Edited by Shenkursk, 29 September 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#12 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

Always a good time...I will be set up with things you need...Stop and say Hi...

#13 crotalus358

crotalus358
  • Members
    • Member ID: 128,862
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

Looking forward to it. If anyone needs local Intel on good food, let me know. See yinz at the show!

Steve

#14 irish

irish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 758
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

Am breaking down and making the 8 hour drive.  Plan to hang out with you all and have some fun.

Jack

#15 mortaydc60

mortaydc60
  • Members
    • Member ID: 565
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hope to be there on Oct 4 for set up. Have four tables with US patches which will be of the better or rarer variety.

#16 River Patrol

River Patrol

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 364
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

I've got 2 tables there.....some super rare Vietnam items will be on my table.....I just got a few Vietnam PRU advisor bring back items for sale!

#17 MAW

MAW
  • Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

If the "Babies R Us" manager had any sense, they'd section off some of their lot and charge $5 per car to park.... Why not take a cut of some of that supply and demand thing? ....or, just sit there and whine with your binoculars....looking across the empty lot. Either way. :/

#18 dunmore1774

dunmore1774
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,684
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

anybody getting together for the show?

#19 Ivydiv

Ivydiv
  • Members
    • Member ID: 161,085
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:34 AM

For me the show has been very slow. Others I talked with are saying the same. I have talked to others that are doing very well. It is a hard show to figure out. We will see what today, Saturday will bring. It is a make it or break it day for me. Wondering what other attendees think? Dave

#20 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

I have had a good show...overall buying and selling has been decent. Still have Saturday to go...Good luck to all.

#21 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

I went as an attendee yesterday and bought some nice things. Reactions from dealers I spoke with were mixed as far as how the show was going as of the end of Friday, but one put it best by saying that those who were willing to negotiate their prices into reality, did well. Those that weren't, didn't. I suppose that goes for any show though.

#22 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

I'm still here...a selfie...

rps20171007_135643.jpg

#23 kammo-man

kammo-man
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,009
  • 12,790 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

Show pictures from the show.

#24 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

rps20171007_143544.jpg rps20171007_143611.jpg rps20171007_143624.jpg

#25 everforward

everforward
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,237
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

I thought the amount of US-related items was down a bit from previous years, and I say this knowing the previous MAX events were traditionally more Third Reich in content, and yes there was a lot of that as always. What US stuff I did see was pretty neat, and it was good to see Robert (Tarbridge) for a few minutes again as always. :) As a postscript, MAAAAN the tolls have gone up on the PA Turnpike...whew

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users