Lt. Edward M. Hale 383rd Infantry, 96th Division Okinawa Bringbacks

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Edward M. Hale graduated from Texas A&M University in 1943, married and was promptly sent overseas. This group follows his time on Okinawa where he was assigned to the 383rd Infantry as part of the 96th Division. He would receive a Bronze Star and Purple Heart and would go on to become a Colonel in the Army reserve. This group includes postcards that he sent to his wife, Betty Jane Davis (Mrs. Edward M. Hale), capture document, flag and book. The capture document mentions censor stamps and both are visible (1) inside the front cover of the book and (2) on the flag. The postcards were all captured on Okinawa and provide an in depth description of the battle:

4/24/45 - "How do you like the stationary? The owner wasn't writing anymore."

5/18/45 - "Miserable night - shells, bullets and fleas."

5/20/45 - "Going out and about - a lot of caves"

6/12/45 - "The old castle doesn't live here anymore. Ruins. Found lots of post cards today."

6/12/45 - "Got a picture of the tomb for you. The Japanese fortify them very thick. Island covered with them. Thousands."

Interesting group of history. Edward Hale was from Houston and the house he mailed these items to sits next to the Buffalo Bayou in Houston. The house still exists, but it is my belief that it is currently underwater from Harvey. Hale passed in 2013.

Best ABN

post-1800-0-62937400-1504411372_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

What an interesting grouping! I have some 3rd Reich paper that GI's wrote letters home on etc but haven't seen any from the Pacific. I love it.

Paul