Springfield m1903 rifle, Vietnam Capture

digi-shots

Here's a photo of a recent pick up - m1903 Springfield. It's a VC capture and brought back to the states in the late 1960's.

The climate in South Vietnam has really taken a toll on it's condition... lots of rust and lots of "patina" !

The barrel is dated 12-17 and I believe based on the s/n 1,376,xxx the rifle dates to around 1935. It has the original older 1903 stock and has only one gas hole on the right side of the receiver.

From what I've read, quite a few 1903's were given to the Chinese (and/or Taiwan) just before WWII. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks for looking!

post-4361-0-36854500-1504400426_thumb.jpg

M1903's were also provided to South Vietnamese Forces early on; I have a picture in one of my books of a class on the M1903 to a group of South Vietnamese militia.

That is a wonderful VN era bring back. Congrats.

My accountant served in Vietnam. He told me of an incident where he was walking in the tall grass and a Viet Cong popped up feet away from him and aimed a gun at his chest. The gun misfired and my friend dispatched the VC with the machete he had in hand. The gun the VC had was an 03 Springfield. He intended to bring it home as a war trophy but got recalled from his unit on an emergency basis when his father had a heart attack back here in the States. When his gear was eventually shipped home the rifle was not included.

That is a great item you have.

Jim

I'll have to get back to the veteran I got it from to get more info... but he did point out a "bullet hole" across the front lower hand guard. The angle it went through does not appear to have been in line with whoever was holding the rifle.

Here are some close up pics of the area:

post-4361-0-79955900-1504913157_thumb.jpg

post-4361-0-40502000-1504913171_thumb.jpg

post-4361-0-04735100-1504913190_thumb.jpg