HELP w/PAL M4 Bayonet -- Not sure about the pins?

july4girl

Hey all,

I'm a lurker... and basically still a newbie when it comes to this site so I hope I'm doing everything ok! :) I picked up this PAL bayo and everything looks right -- except I'm confused about the retaining plate pins. I know earlier models from my websearching had what they called tapered pins that could be removed... I'm not sure I totally know what tapered looks like. Then later they were staked -- again I can't find comparison photos of what the difference looks like. Secondly, I guess I can assume this M8 scabbard is original to the bayo? There is no VP or whatever other marking on the front of the green part of the scabbard, should there be? The blade is great, just slightest scabbard wear, no sharpening, point intact... just one tiny little edge nick near the crossguard.

The pics I took of the pins confuse me -- it looks and feels like one is flatter or smoother/rounder than the other pin which I think means its "tapered?" The opposite pin has a bit of an edge feel to it - is that "staked?". Looking at the pommel underside, the flatter/rounded pin ends with a very flat surface which is like flush to where it is visible. The opposite pin which has a bit of edge to it, well it is clearly raised up (like a bump) from where it rests. Do I have this right as far as which is tapered and which is staked? What worries me is do I have one staked pin and one tapered pin which is wrong! I bought this from someone who has a good reputation for $240... hope I didn't overspend!! If it has mixed pins I can show him and he would refund my $$ I am sure. Thanks for any help!!

PS - The files are too large to upload here so here is the link to my Google Drive library -- hope this works! I guess you have to copy and paste this link in your browser to see the pics :)

Hey all,

I'm a lurker... and basically still a newbie when it comes to this site so I hope I'm doing everything ok! :) I picked up this PAL bayo and everything looks right -- except I'm confused about the retaining plate pins. I know earlier models from my websearching had what they called tapered pins that could be removed... I'm not sure I totally know what tapered looks like. Then later they were staked -- again I can't find comparison photos of what the difference looks like. Secondly, I guess I can assume this M8 scabbard is original to the bayo? There is no VP or whatever other marking on the front of the green part of the scabbard, should there be? The blade is great, just slightest scabbard wear, no sharpening, point intact... just one tiny little edge nick near the crossguard.

The pics I took of the pins confuse me -- it looks and feels like one is flatter or smoother/rounder than the other pin which I think means its "tapered?" The opposite pin has a bit of an edge feel to it - is that "staked?". Looking at the pommel underside, the flatter/rounded pin ends with a very flat surface which is like flush to where it is visible. The opposite pin which has a bit of edge to it, well it is clearly raised up (like a bump) from where it rests. Do I have this right as far as which is tapered and which is staked? What worries me is do I have one staked pin and one tapered pin which is wrong! I bought this from someone who has a good reputation for $240... hope I didn't overspend!! If it has mixed pins I can show him and he would refund my $$ I am sure. Thanks for any help!!

PS - The files are too large to upload here so here is the link to my Google Drive library -- hope this works! I guess you have to copy and paste this link in your browser to see the pics :)

Here is a link for uploading on the forum...outside links are not allowed. Contact me if you need help.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

How do I go back to my original post to edit in order to add the newly re-sized pics? It doesn't show me an edit option or the attachment option when I look at my original post here?

Those two holes in the aft spacer are for pin removal so I would guess tapered pins were used,if used. You have a earlier,WONDERFUL looking example there and WELCOME! Don't be shy. We have never bitten anybody yet.

Well, one of the pics of the front of the scabbard that was re-sized -- system said it was still too big. Will try it later. Finally figured out I could do more than one attachment on one message!! Sorry for my confusion! I'm usually not so slow!! :)

post-13174-0-72548400-1504305674_thumb.jpg

Those two holes in the aft spacer are for pin removal so I would guess tapered pins were used,if used. You have a earlier,WONDERFUL looking example there and WELCOME! Don't be shy. We have never bitten anybody yet.

Hey jw517,

Thanks for your comments! :) It's ok if you just bite softly LOL!!

I'll add that the sheaths don't always have the VP molded into them.

Thx sactroop... So, do you guys think this is good to go as far as the pin issues? Also, what do ya'll think of the $240 price I paid, PAL only made about 11% of the M4s... I hope that price is at least basic retail and I didn't get gouged too badly??

Original WWII era M4 bayonet . For some reason the 2 pins are usually different or different height at the latch plate , even on untouched original examples . Never heard a logical explination for this .

A nice Pal like yours is hard to find I think. 240.00 is high but not CRAZY. I have them all in mint/ near mint condition and the Pal is the only one I have id like to improve on. What is your collecting goal? Did you just want one M-4 or are you a addict.

A nice Pal like yours is hard to find I think. 240.00 is high but not CRAZY. I have them all in mint/ near mint condition and the Pal is the only one I have id like to improve on. What is your collecting goal? Did you just want one M-4 or are you a addict.

LOL... I am so relieved to know I'm not crazy for what I paid! :) I really wanted to get it for $200 if I could have... the seller orig wanted $300 but I got him down. I've seen the more common types like Imperial in just as nice shape go for $200 or a tad more on eBay. So I guess since its a PAL I didn't do too bad.

Let me ask your opinion since I don't collect M4s (I just got this one because I wanted one to go with my Nat'l Postal Meter GI bring back M1 Carbine), how would you rate this on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being mint condition? Or, in words -- how would it be described, ie, if you saw it described in an auction? Some folks use words like "killer" etc... I just don't have a frame of reference for where my M4 falls because it clearly shows storage and other type "wear" so it couldn't really be described as "near mint" or something like that -- if you know what I mean?

BTW, I'm not planning on resale, gonna keep this one for awhile at least! :) Yrs ago when I bought my first M1 Carbine (Underwood) I also got my first M4 bayonet that really was what I would call minty -- it was even nicer than this one here in terms of the blade and light wear on the grip. Only paid $100 for it and as I say that was yrs ago. Am I wrong or does it seem like M4 prices have gone up... or is that just natural due to passage of time?

Anyway, I sold it and the carbine cause I thought I really needed the money. So for yrs, I wished I had never sold either and decided one day I'd get replacements. The M1 I have now is nicer than the one I sold... and this bayonet may not be quite as minty as my old Imperial but being PAL is the added plus. I like certain types of WWII militaria and just have always like the M1 Carbine. My late father was in the 11th ABN in the PTO and I have a pic of him holding a paratrooper model! :)

Hi Folks,

I'm coming to the party a little late in the game, but I would like to answer your 1-10 question. I'm hoping others will weigh in. Grading a knife without actually seeing it is treading on thin ice, but since you already made the purchase, and, in the past, I have shown myself more than willing to put my foot in my mouth, I'll take a stab at it. heh heh. The blade looks to be in great condition, but not mint. The leather is a little too dark, meaning it has been treated with oil or polish. It also has a good sized scuff. With that taken into consideration, I would rate this M4 as a 7.

Again, I hope others chime in.

Marv