Vietnam USMC Dog tags?

Bellumbill

Hello all -

I have a set of dog tags that I believe are Vietnam War period named to a marine. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to find information on him since Ancestry only goes up to 1958. Golden Arrow is an option but outside of that pricey option what other options do I have if any?

The name is J.W. COLLEN, 2161818

Any advice would be appreciated.

Very best,

Bill K

post-661-0-91824000-1504242459.jpg

The official changeover for the USMC from service numbers to social security numbers was January 1, 1972. Of course there were anomalies, but even so yes, your dog tag dates from the Vietnam war period.

Also, I missed the original intent of your post. Only way to ID him is through intensive research and a match to his service number (difficult because if he stayed in past 74 you may not see anything to do with his service number), unless possibly he went to Vietnam and was WIA or had some sort of valor award with a definite service number match.

Hello,

Since this Marine's records are less than 62 years old you will have to request his records under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA). You can do that yourself by going to the NPRC web site (https://www.archives.gov/st-louis) and downloading the current version of SF-180 (https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf). Fill out the SF-180 with the information you have and send it in. Why pay a researcher when you can do FOIA request yourself. If you are looking for records older than 62 years (archival records) then I would highly recommend using a researcher. Good luck.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz