Gas Mask Estate Find

History Man

Came across this today in my travels and was curious what everyone thought about it. It's a pretty nice WW1 gas mask set with something strange about it, there's a black period handle attached to the connection point. Has anyone come across this before or seen it? Was in a footlocker for decades before being sold off this morning.

Thoughts?

post-25965-0-53787900-1504223316.jpg

post-25965-0-92451100-1504223317.jpg

post-25965-0-82527200-1504223319.jpg

Bracket protects the rubber flutter valve which has dried and broken off.The remains are in the photo with the anti dim cloth and booklet.

Nice find, even though the flutter valve is broken off (most are) at least you still have it. A lot of them are completely missing. There is an excellent thread on these, which should answer just about any question you can think of: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233734-aef-gasmasks-respirators-1917-to-1919/

Also, see this to date the bag: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233734-aef-gasmasks-respirators-1917-to-1919/?p=2066594

Is there anything written in the record card?

That looks like a nice example. The lenses are pretty clear, the mask looks fairly pliable....accessories to boot. Winner Winner, I hope you picked it up. This mask is called the "Corrected English Mask" and was used from 1917 - 1919.

doyler is 100% correct as it is very common for that flutter valve to break off over time. The flutter valves were made of rubber and some leather and dried up over the years and become very brittle.

Yes, that "handle" as you called it is on everyone of those model masks, it's part of the design.

Thanks for sharing

Dan

Nothing written on the card, though there is some plaster strips for repair still there.

Thank you all for the information, this was completely out of my wheelhouse but took a chance on it. Glad I did.

Due to college being fun and books being pricey, I will probably move this one to the for sale section.