My Grandfather Vernon 'Gene" Schneider- KW USAF veteran

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

Id like to post the passing on August 22 of my paternal grandfather- Vernon Eugene Schneider Sr. Born on a beet farm in Sterling CO in June 1932- He enlisted in the USAF in March 1952 and was trained as a lineman, he was promptly sent to Korea in the winter of 1952 where he helped set up and repair com lines. He recalled more than once being the target of snipers and on one sad day, a (presumably) Chinese mortar attack that killed one of his good friends as they were trying to fix a downed telephone pole. After 11 mos overseas He returned stateside and later served as a air gunner, and radioman on B29 and B36 bombers serving with various squadrons in SAC. He was discharged in March, 1956 with the rank of E-4 Airman First Class (now known as Senior Airman)

He earned the following decorations:

Good Conduct Medal

Korean Service Medal w/ 2 Service Stars

National Defense Service Medal

UN Service Medal

Aircrew Wings

RIP Grandpa

post-52690-0-21555800-1504019170.jpg

dan_the_hun84

Sorry for his loss. Did he ever mention the German POWs working on the beet farms?

Yes, my family are Volga Germans - he remembered them being around but they did not allow the POWs to work on our farm as the officials were paranoid about fraternization between the German POWs and the German-Americans