Marne Medal Certificate

Twillie2

Dear Fellow Collectors, Researchers and Militaria Caretakers,

I recently acquired a "MEDAILLE DE LA MARNE" certificate Named to Ardis E. Windsor, Sergent, 2207 Infinity(?) Str. Jackson 39209 Miss. It is framed and matted. Someone rightly took some pride in this mans service.

Has anyone else found one of these certifcates?

Was the medal for this certificate awarded or was it privately purchased?

I understand from the seller that he thought SGT Windsor was wounded.

What's the best, fastest way to find out anymore about SGT Windsor?

I'm not sure what the significance of "39209"? I don't believe it to be a Zip Code.

I tried to upload pictures but I think I messed up. This picture is the only one I could upload. Thanks for any input you might have. R/ Twillie2

Corporal Ardis E. Windsor, 6th Engineers, 3rd Division, WIA at St. Mihiel according to the 6th Engineer's History, page 134 (and in the roster of wounded). Nice find.

39209 is the Zip code for Jackson MS making this doc a late arrival for WWI. Need to see a pc. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Thanks guys for the information. And the quick reply. I didn't realize that was actually a Zip Code. I will try to send a pic. R/ Twillie2

• 2 weeks later...

I also went back to the the person I received the marne Certificate from and he supplied me with Mr. Windsors medals and some other items. post-162769-0-70707100-1505081177_thumb.jpgpost-162769-0-45770100-1505081178_thumb.jpgpost-162769-0-11705300-1505081179_thumb.jpgpost-162769-0-92540900-1505081179_thumb.jpg

Fellow collectors and militaria caretakers.

I must appologize for not adding a little more to the previous picture grouping. I inadvertantly sent it early. Anyway, this is a list of what I received:

1) Purple Heart named to: Ardis E. Windsor

The medal is in a clear plastic case with lapel pin.

2) U.S. WWI Victory Medal w/ six campaign bars: *Somme Offensive*, Champagne Marne*, *Aisne Marne*, St. Mihiel*, *Meuse Argonne*, *Defensive Sector*. Of the WWI Victories I have, this is definately the nicest one I have. And the bars are nice and tight.

Medal comes with Two WWI Victory Medal Ribbon Bars each with six bronze stars also in very good condition.

4) Army of Occupation of Germany Medal.

Medal comes with two lapel pins and Ribbon Bar in original cellophane wrapper.

5) American Legion lapel pin (Worcester, Mass)

6) "Help Win the War Sons of AM. Liberty" pin (Whitehead & Hoag Co.)

7) French Certificate for Medal De La Marne No. 26015 in matted frame. Named to Ardis E. Windsor, Sergent, 207 Infinity Str. Jackson 39209, Miss

8) One gold braid Wound (?) chevron.

9) Three red Discharge (?) chevrons.

10) Three gold bullion chevrons (attached in one set), Sergent stripes (?).

11) One Engineer badge. A bit faded bit still desireable to me.

This is my first named Purple Heart and I have the whole shebang to go with it. This will be a prominant part of my collection.

Thanks.

R/ Twillie2

Here is a photo of him in uniform, as this might add to your fabulous collection!

post-151812-0-16911600-1505160779_thumb.jpg

Ardis Everett "Ardie" Windsor

Born: 6 Aug 1896 - Coal City, Alabama

Enlisted: 1 June 1917

Released: 2 Sept 1919

Died: 29 Aug 1988 - Mobile, Alabama

Parents: James Wesley Windsor & Delilah Ann Wyatt

Allen, Amanda, William, Eunice, Este, Roxana, Elmer, Louis, Lona Lorrinda, Arthur

Wife: Lora Ozmer

Daughters: Helen (1922-1999, Edna (1924-1969)

Here is a bit of info from a book, "History of the Sixth Engineers" -

"One man was wounded, Corporal Ardis E. Windsor. While passing out picks and shovels from the tool wagon a shell fragment lodged in his arm."

Here is the link, and you could read the chapter about the battle he was wounded in. Go to page 134 for his mention.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-KgBAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=%22ardis+e.+windsor%22&source=bl&ots=QSnfwP0g8v&sig=N6nSO41mVfLZyhP_vjeo8cOXg_g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHqdPD-p3WAhUjzoMKHfRrABMQ6AEIMTAD#v=onepage&q=%22ardis%20e.%20windsor%22&f=false

Wow! Thanks for all the nice things you have all said. And the added info is just OUTSTANDING! I can't thank you enough. This just gives the ensemble more personality. I really like back stories of these heroes. Again, thanks you very much. Twillie2