Estate Sale USMC Grouping

wildwill

The guy in the photo is Albert Barnes born in 1928 so he was 17 when he joined in 1945.

He was KIA at the Chosin Resevoir (1950) from small arms fire while he was cutting a way through barbed wire to free his men from encirclement.

This action he received the SS posthumously.

I texted the sale, because I have nothing to do, and got the name.

The research is all on line.

My question is how did he get those SS and PH's before he was KIA?

Thanks D.

So if he joins January 1, 1945 how did he get 2 SS and 4 PH by the end of the war?

Is it possible even?

And now add one more each for his final action for a total count of 3 SS and 5 PH.

By the way there is a picture of him on line taken after boot camp.

Thanks D.

So if he joins January 1, 1945 how did he get 2 SS and 4 PH by the end of the war?

Is it possible even?

Be intresting to see if they were family and things got mixed.

hope the OP bought more stuff or maybe who did will post it?

And now add one more each for his final action for a total count of 3 SS and 5 PH.

By the way there is a picture of him on line taken after boot camp.

Stinger Gunner USMC

Well, interesting to find this post. Attached is the items I was able to pull from this estate sale yesterday. Everything pictured was from the sale with the exception of the Wings which are modern and thrown in the case to match his uniform.

I was number 31 in the door, so just missed the items already shown and never got to see the photo album.

So, now to figure out who this Marine was?!

Almost everything at the sale was named to a Patrick Welsh

the estate sale company, however said it belonged to an Albert Barnes (the house is listed as being owned by Albert Barnes C/O Albert White) on the Jefferson County, MO tax assessor website.

post-1672-0-11873900-1503885046.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

The guy in the photo is Albert Barnes born in 1928 so he was 17 when he joined in 1945.

He was KIA at the Chosin Resevoir (1950) from small arms fire while he was cutting a way through barbed wire to free his men from encirclement.

This action he received the SS posthumously.

I texted the sale, because I have nothing to do, and got the name.

The research is all on line.

My question is how did he get those SS and PH's before he was KIA?

The house that the sale was at this weekend was listed as being owned by an Albert Barnes on the County tax assessment website. the items sold at this sale do not make sense for the Albert P Barnes who was KIA in 1950 and from Flora Mississippi.

KurtA I was going to go down the SV trail too.

And I hadn't noticed the missing GCM.

The picture I posted resembles the guy from Missouri, cleft chin square head, but what really makes sense is if Stinger is right.

So on to find another Al Barnes who was perhaps an ex Raider and/or a Paramarine?

• 2 weeks later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

interesting. I found an article that pictures Patrick J Welsh and it is a clipping of the exact same photo as the one that came in the frame with the full size medals. it states he was wounded in the hip by machine gun fire in 1951 as a Corporal. it also says that he first entered the Marines in 1947. An interesting turn considering the picture shows a chest full of WWII awards in both photos from the estate sale.

post-1672-0-22575100-1505174325.jpeg

Just a thought, USN WWII service and joined the USMC when his enlistment was up in 1946/47?

Stinger Gunner USMC

Just a thought, USN WWII service and joined the USMC when his enlistment was up in 1946/47?

I'm currently looking at that as a possibility. Im diging through the St Louis newspaper archivies online seeing what I can come up with!

There is a Patrick J Welsh that was a hospital corpsman during WWII and is listed on a few ships late/post war and listed as a corpsman with an FMF unit in 1947. not sure if its him though

Stinger Gunner USMC

The other odd thing that I just noticed about the group is his service number on his dog tag is 428547 while his service number on all of his muster rolls on ancestry is 528547

• 1 month later...