Estate Sale USMC Grouping

wildwill

Does someone else think this group is odd? The only Patrick J. Welsh I can see enlisted in 1945 and wasn't a paratrooper or a purple heart recipient in WWII or Korea. I also can't find anything on the SSM.

The ID tag was not in the frame. It was in a box of other military items in the estate. All the items were USMC.

The framed grouping was hanging on the wall and the ID tag was the original owner of the estate. I'm pretty sure based on what the family told me it's him.

Looks promising.

PHOTO shows WW2 rack with threefold and appears to match?

Korea service later which isnt uncommon

If you have established a good relationship with the sellers go back ans ask if there is any paper work.They may not want to sell but maybe the best and quickest way to answers questions.They may see your sincerity and intrest in his history and let you copy anything that may be available.

Hello,

The I D tag you have belonged to a Marine, who according to records from ancestry.com, enlisted in Feb 1945 and was discharged in Aug 1946. I would think with those service dates the ribbon rack, jump wings, and medals do not belong to him.

It appears he may have served for about a year during the Korean War, Jan 1951 to Jan 1952. He was promoted to Corporal in Jan 1952. There is a discrepancy in the serial number on his I D tag and the in USMC Muster Roles.

I do agree the Marine in the photo looks to be wearing the top three ribbon bars and jump wings. His dress blue uniform is post WWII because of the presence of top pockets.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Good afternoon. Quick question if I may. Maybe I missed it in the responses but is the 4th row of ribbons "independent" of the top 3? In the picture he is wearing 3 rows but you were able to purchase 4 rows. It seems like it could stand on it's own for a Marine Reservist in Korea. The bottom row could belong to the Marine of the tag?

Did the family give you any indication of what the name of the person in the photo is?

The dog tag does not go with the photo.

When was this sale and where?

How long would it take a Marine to put a rack like that together?

Two Silver Stars and four Purple Hearts is quite an accomplishment to say the least.

And four stars on their Pacific ribbon.

What does the back of the para badge look like?

Can you go back to the people who ran the sale and get info?

I agree that something is weird.

Austin_Militaria

The commendation medal with valor would be placed higher in the order of medals. Bottom row does not belong. two different guys. Not uncommon for the family to mix things up. Maybe brothers, older one served in WWII?

The commendation medal with valor would be placed higher in the order of medals. Bottom row does not belong. two different guys. Not uncommon for the family to mix things up.

Thought this as well.

Could be brothers or another relative.

I still would go check with the estate if its not inconvenient.

They may have paperwork if it wasn't thrown out.

You could also look in or search the obituaries in the area to see if there are others with same last name and maybe get a connection?

In the pics there is a WWII USMC photo album, a frame on the wall with a Para patch, Cpl chevrons, 2nd Div patch etc, and a box with emblems, patches, SSI etc and that one USMC dogtag. Interesting Estate. Did you get the other USMC stuff? Bob

What a fantastic sale

Layers of family accumulation

In one photo saw framed para marine and 2nd Division patches.

Another where dog tags were showed Raider and 1st and 2nd Division patches.

Going to guess but your para marine may have ended up in 2ND division when they disbanded the para marines.

Could look for that connection too.

Someone was a Raider, maybe. There was a great photo album there as well.

Agree...the phots look to be the series you could get in small packet sets from the Marine Corps reproduced from official photos of different campaigns.