RCAF wings of a American Bomber Pilot

River Rat 1

Some one at another forum knew I collected pilot wing ask me if I wantes her uncle wiings. He joined the RCAF early in WW2 before the US entered the war. He later joined the US Army Air Force when we entered the war got both set of wings. His name was Clifford Eugene Camp and he flew bombers and was stationed in England. See did not know his rank or what squadrons RCAF or US he was from Omaha NE . I found a RCAF bomber museum hoping they have records of crew members I sent them a email hoping they can help with the missing info. He also flew for American Airlines out of NYC until the 1960's after the war. First set of wing I can put a name on in my collection. Also have his US wings kind of cool to have both pairs made by AMICO. One thing I learned looking up info on Americans volunteering to another foreign military they broke the neutrality act a law the US had against that never knew about that.

post-14208-0-82343400-1503746439.jpg

RR1, That'a a very nice looking group. Have you checked with the Canadian Archives? I requested help from them for a couple of other projects and they have been very helpful. Here is a link to their page: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/second-world-war/Pages/introduction.aspx

I checked out that link you can't email to ask a question. I notice you can write or call on the phone how did you contact them ?

You might be surprised at the amount of info in the Canadian Archives. I request info on an American who'd gone into the RCAF who ended up flying Beaufighters. He was KIA in 43. I got his records and it was close to 100 pages. Not free but worth it if you are serious about chasing his history.

I checked out that link you can't email to ask a question. I notice you can write or call on the phone how did you contact them ?

I contacted them by regular mail and provided them with an email address to which they could respond. I think you can also ask them by using the online form at: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/assistance-request-form/Pages/assistance-request-form.aspx

I submitted that online form if that don't work I will write them like you did. Don't know how I missed that online form. And thanks for all the help really appreciate it.

Dam Canada was fast getting back to me I had to do a few forms and email them back. When I had to get a DD-214 to order a tomb stone for my Dad it took for ever to hear back. Dam Canada treats there veterain issues better than us. Seems like the USA really don't help vets or care for our service. I belong to the American Legion on memorial day we put flags on Veterans graves at the local Ennis grave yard. One grave had a paper marker since 2015. That was unsat he was a Korean War vet so did my home work found a cousin the wife had Alzheimer's the rest of the family sold every thing. And hard to do any thing with out a DD-214 or remediate family authorization to order a stone. So I found out what mortuary buried him and found out the stone been sitting for two years at a granite place due to the family did not want to pay to have it set. I will pick it up this week and pay the 350.00 or maybe get the American legion to help set the stone our self's. People just don't care and why us vet's get bad service that stone been sitting two years.

RR1,

The Canadian Archives are incredible. If they haven't completed it already, they are currently posting all of the WWI personnel records online and they can be downloaded for free. I have a group from a Hoosier who enlisted into the Canadian Army in 1917 and was able to download more than 30 pages of data from his personel record. If you are interested, you can see the thread here:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/289154-harold-mcdonald-4th-canadian-machine-gun-bn/?hl=canadian

Please allow me to add my 2 cents to the credit of the Canadian Archives. I requested material on my brother, who enlisted into the Canadian Armored Corps, and while it took a little bit of time, they responded with information I had never seen before. I knew he was wounded in Sicily, but found out he was also wounded in Italy. I can't say enough good things about them, not to mention all the information was without cost. I can only assume that was because he was a Canadian Veteran. Jack

• 8 months later...

I have some information on this man. I didn't know him, but I have a few pics of him and have his WWII diary from 1944 (which I am Keeping).