Help Paul C. -- Airship Pilot

Paul S

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the input...I'm not trying to sell the idea of these wings as authentic, except in the sense that they are, or sure appear to be from original dies and have a very convincing patina of age. Pasquale is an enigmatic maker in my mind. There appears to be more fakes than there are real Pasquale wings...don't think I've seen more than 1 or 2 that I would consider original bearing the mark. Of course, as you know, Meyer is another real problem child. I picked up a Meyer SP from the original estate, then bought a re-strike, and except for the age marks and a couple of small details regarding the pin, they were identical right down to the hallmarks. Too bad, as they are attractive wings. On the other hand, maybe its not so bad...it keeps the prices down, makes it a challenge to find originals, and discourages greed--from both collectors and would be makers.

Paul S

Here's the pic, and Wiley, I would love to see your wings. These are the most faked wing out there in my opinion!

These are airship pilot wings, only 57 (?) pilot's actually qualified to wear them but LOTS of makers!! The "preferred" maker is BB&B

This just in!!

Here are "better" pictures of my wings. As you can see, all the photographic genes went to my sister!

I just found a hallmark under the pin. Looks like N. S. Meyer.

Here you go:

post-1678-1225769190.jpgpost-1678-1225768783.jpg

Letting the cat out of the bag ... or may the true facts be known about Pasquali wing badges.

(1) All wing badges sold by Pasquale were made by V. H. Blackinton Co.

(2) The 'correct' backmark on a wing badge actually sold by Pasquale

would never read, ' Pasquale ' thumbdown.gif ... it would read ' Pasquale, S.F ' thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Cliff p. ;)

I just found a hallmark under the pin. Looks like N. S. Meyer.

Is the hallmark raised, or is it incised? I think the Meyer hallmarks from the 1930s were incised.

From the photo \ shadow I would say raised. As for the Pasquale S.F. hallmark of the examples I have seen all had the S.F. included. As for the connection to Blackington I have been told by a friend that not only did they make them but there is a family connection.

John

BTW does anyone know when they stoped marking items B. Pasquale and went to Pasquale S.F.?

teufelhunde.ret
From the photo \ shadow I would say raised. As for the Pasquale S.F. hallmark of the examples I have seen all had the S.F. included. As for the connection to Blackington I have been told by a friend that not only did they make them but there is a family connection.

John

BTW does anyone know when they stoped marking items B. Pasquale and went to Pasquale S.F.?

John, not sure this helps (y'all know how I like to read your threads, have learned a good bit doing so) here is a set of collar EGA's that pre-date WW1 A second picture is located in the hallmarks section: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=25314 s/f Darrell

post_376_1207768524.jpg

O.K., so what do we think here? Do we have a c.1930 Meyer die that someone is taking liberties with, or do we have a Meyer die that Meyer used to make some wings for others as a subcontractor?

I understand from another collector that Meyer made none of its own wings, contracting with International Silver (if I recall correctly) most frequently to make many of its wings to Meyer specs.

The "Pasquali" wing I posted earlier is one of 3-4 I've had, each one identical in the use of drop in catches, somewhat lightweight pins for the heft of the wing...something I associate with earlier (1920s 1930s) wings, although not exclusively. Each of the "Pasquali" wings had chop marks through the mark which would indicate to me no particular intent to deceive, as would the misspelling also, except one which had no chop marks.

Well I'm back in this one, sorry got busy. As I said, I have held three of these all had different pins, the one from the 30 old collection had the best one. All had identical hallmarks, no crop marks, although one had a double strike. I will get a picture of mine up ASAP.

Paul

John, not sure this helps (y'all know how I like to read your threads, have learned a good bit doing so) here is a set of collar EGA's that pre-date WW1 A second picture is located in the hallmarks section: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=25314 s/f Darrell

Thanks Darrell.

I have seen WW2 examples with the Pasquale S.F. marks as well. The company itself had been around for a long time. I recently saw an old ad of theirs from the 1880's but they used B. Pasquale & Sons.

John

Mine and Paul C's wing look just like most of the ones I've seen. Can't recall seeing anything more from Pasquale other than perhaps a pilot wing or two...has anyone else seen other, properly marked Pasquale WWII era wings? Does anyone know when they might have shut down their store?