1918 Trench Knife

cspear42

post-170353-0-81717600-1503453987.jpgpost-170353-0-34954900-1503454018.jpgThe 1918 Trench Knife depicted below has been in my family for a very long time. My father in law (95) was at Pearl Harbor when bombed where he was working as a welder. He has had this knife in his possession passed to him by his father. I would like to know if anyone has any idea of what it might be worth or who I could contact to have it appraised.

attachicon.gifuntitled.jpgattachicon.gifuntitled-2.jpgThe 1918 Trench Knife depicted below has been in my family for a very long time. My father in law (95) was at Pearl Harbor when bombed where he was working as a welder. He has had this knife in his possession passed to him by his father. I would like to know if anyone has any idea of what it might be worth or who I could contact to have it appraised.

Not uncommon, but never-the-less a desirable knife for the WWII knife collecting community. They were actually first issued in WWI, but later reissued in WWII. Hard to tell the condition from the pics, but the value could range anywhere from $450 - $900 depending on rust, dings, etc. Are there any markings on the sheath? e.g. an "LF&C" up around the mouth area?. If you have any wartime pictures of him with the knife, would enhance the value.

"L.F.&C." "1918" IS stamped on the upper inside portion of the sheath. Also "D-3783" is scratched on one side of the handle. I'm guessing this was the initial of the soldier's last name and the last 4 numbers of his service number. No dings but has Purina on handle and blade. No picture. Father in law never served active duty but retained as welder to work on ships.

The leather portion is not original to the knife. Are there two prongs on the reverse? If they are gone it effects the value pretty considerably. What I am seeing in the condition (without knowing about the prongs) is a knife that would not reach the upper limits of $800-$900. Still has value but those knives are really excellent plus to near mint. Nice family relic though.

The prongs are still in place. I was told someone modified a 1907 rifle sling to make a holder for the sheath to hold on a belt.

Prongs present are a huge plus as so many are missing. The copper color on the scabbard is a copper flashing laid down under the blackening. One way to spot an original, but it is nice to see a little less of it if you know what I mean. A very decent knife though that I think might come in around the $500-600 mark. I would love to hear what some others might think on value, I haven't shopped them in a bit.