The Balfour 1-B question........

Flightpath

Hi,

I have two sets of Balfour US Navy wings, an aviator with clutch pins and an observer with a full length pin and locking catch.

Both have standard Balfour hallmarks and both have the 1-B mark, do any members have information on this 1-B mark, I was guessing the wings were from the late 1950s to early 1960s, the clutch fastners on the aviator wing have 8 cleats and are marked 'Jandy Reg', in the referance by Howard Lanham it dates them as c1960s.

Any information and discussion is welcome.

cheers, John

post-105780-0-03386100-1503426085_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, your guess is right, I always reputed this hallmark being from mid 1950's to mid mid 1960's.

Nice wings!

Hi,

an email from John Vargas gave me the exact information I needed........

"The 1-B is the Institute of Heraldry (IHO) hallmark number assigned to Balfour in 1961, it was used between 1961 to 1965 as Balfour was assigned another IHO number in 1966".

That really nailed it down!

cheers, John

Hi,

an email from John Vargas gave me the exact information I needed........

"The 1-B is the Institute of Heraldry (IHO) hallmark number assigned to Balfour in 1961, it was used between 1961 to 1965 as Balfour was assigned another IHO number in 1966".

That really nailed it down!

cheers, John

Sorry, should read 'IOH' not IHO............

it was used between 1961 to 1965 as Balfour was assigned another IHO number in 1966

Yes, since 1966 they used the "B21" marking (together with the older "LGB" hallmark, which was still used into the late 1960's).

In any case, in my humble opinion Balfour wings are among the most beautiful regardless of their age, and they are highly collectable even if they are not from WWII era (my two cents).